7saum or 300saum build

cowboy717

I've picked up a shot out short action remington 700. Im looking into a short mag build. Im wanting to shoot either the 180 gr bergers or 215-230 bergers. What would give me the best potential? Im wanting this as a long range hunting rifle for deer mainly and coyotes from time to time.

I've picked up a shot out short action remington 700. Im looking into a short mag build. Im wanting to shoot either the 180 gr bergers or 215-230 bergers. What would give me the best potential? Im wanting this as a long range hunting rifle for deer mainly and coyotes from time to time.

The 180 in the 7 or the 215 in the 300 would give similar performance, so mainly personal preference. Both of those are very long bullets which will limit your coal greatly unless you want to single load? The 700 SA will only accept about a 2.820" coal. Normally, given that you need very slow powders to push these bullets at top velocities, the bullet has to be seated so deeply that your case capacity is diminished and accuracy can be affected as well as velocity.
If you are interested in Wildcatting the SAUM in a SA 700, my SS case design is a big improvement! I am currently having dies made for the 7 SS (Sherman Shortmag) which is Creedmore length with no compromise in velocity with the SAUM. I could also have them made in 30 cal. Since deer and coyotes are your primary targets, I would also strongly recommend the 6.5 SS on the same case. You can load the 160 Matrix at over 3100' and bullets down to 87 grains or lower are also available. If you are interested in finding out more, pm me.............Rich

The 180 in the 7 or the 215 in the 300 would give similar performance, so mainly personal preference. Both of those are very long bullets which will limit your coal greatly unless you want to single load? The 700 SA will only accept about a 2.820" coal. Normally, given that you need very slow powders to push these bullets at top velocities, the bullet has to be seated so deeply that your case capacity is diminished and accuracy can be affected as well as velocity.
If you are interested in Wildcatting the SAUM in a SA 700, my SS case design is a big improvement! I am currently having dies made for the 7 SS (Sherman Shortmag) which is Creedmore length with no compromise in velocity with the SAUM. I could also have them made in 30 cal. Since deer and coyotes are your primary targets, I would also strongly recommend the 6.5 SS on the same case. You can load the 160 Matrix at over 3100' and bullets down to 87 grains or lower are also available. If you are interested in finding out more, pm me.............Rich

Sorry this is off topic, but have you worked with the .270 SS any? Thanks

Im not against single feeding to an extent but was going to use a wyatts mag box to gain all that I can. I've seen the 6.5SS and it looks very interesting. Will have to give it some thought. Thanks!

3100' plus with 26" barrel based on what the 6.5 SS does with the 160

Wow that is very impressive. My cousin is looking to rebarrel his .270 WSM chambered Weatherby Vanguard with a 27" heavy barrel. He was going to keep the .270 WSM but wanted to shoot the 165 Matrix bullets, don't think we will be able to use it as a repeater though. Knew your SS line of cartridges would be something to look into.

Wow that is very impressive. My cousin is looking to rebarrel his .270 WSM chambered Weatherby Vanguard with a 27" heavy barrel. He was going to keep the .270 WSM but wanted to shoot the 165 Matrix bullets, don't think we will be able to use it as a repeater though. Knew your SS line of cartridges would be something to look into.

let me know

Looking at numbers between the saum and wsm is still leaning me towards the saum. As im a remington guy. I already load for both saums and a couple of the wsms. So im just wanting a build one that's specifically set up to shoot the heavies.
Question is, barrel length and what I can get by with in the short action.

Looking at numbers between the saum and wsm is still leaning me towards the saum. As im a remington guy. I already load for both saums and a couple of the wsms. So im just wanting a build one that's specifically set up to shoot the heavies.
Question is, barrel length and what I can get by with in the short action.

The SAUM is also said to be a more accurate cartridge. My Dad and I visited the Army Marksmanship Unit last summer and he was reunited with some of his old shooting partners he was in AMU with and we also got a tour of their shop. They were using the 7mm SAUM with 180gr Bergers for their long range competition shooting and found it to be extremely accurate. A lot different stuff now than what he had back then haha.

I own a 7 SAUM and it is a pleasure to shoot and very easy to load for. My most accurate load, 1" at 300, has been with 150 matchkings and H4831. I have yet to shoot target bullets heavier than this. I do use 175 a-frames which aren't really a long range bullet, but work great for moose inside 300 yards. The rifle is a stock 24" Rem 700 BDL and gets 3400 with 120s, 3000 with 150s and 2850 with the 175s. My vote is with the 7 SAUM. 28" medium palma contour in 9 twist throated for 180 bergers will be my next barrel for this rifle if I ever shoot it out.

Reuben

I also own a 7saum in a rem 700 SS. Its a blast to shoot but absolutely hates anything heavier than 140s no matter the bullet. Its pet load is 130gr smks with h4350. Shoots down in the .3s with this load. Awesome for a sporter weight barrel. Just want to be able to shoot the heavys. Im drooling to try the 180 bergers or the 210-215 in 30cal.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.