R700 SA build... 7SAUM?

That's the spirit!

Again, elkaholic is the one who came up with it. Rich Sherman is his name, hence sherman shortmag. It's really a super round, but you can't go wrong with the SS, SAUM, or 7mm-08. Just depends on what you want. The saum and SS wI'll cost about the same with performance advantage given to the SS. The 7mm-08 will be way cheaper with more facity ammo available, but performance compared to the mags is nothing

The rifle is currently a 7-08. I had been considering going 7-08AI or 284Win, but then got to looking at the SAUM. Now I am looking at the SS, which seems like about as good as it gets for a short action 7mm. The idea of being able to launch a 175gr bullet at speeds comparable to what I am currently launching a 140gr bullet at seems like a huge jump in performance, and I am guessing that the recoil won't be too much more than the lightweight 30-06 I used to shoot, and I may even put a break on it so it could be lighter.

Just shot my new Savage 7 SAUM build over chrono.
Headspaced very short, built on a LA platform seated to 3.10 COAL with a 27" Mcgowen tube.
Firing virgin Norma brass with the 175 ELD-X and .5 under max of H-1000 it made 3042. Ramped up over 5 gr from 2890.
VERY VERY HAPPY. Was ready to be happy at 2900. No pressure signs at all under a 50x microscope. IDK what to do now. I'm .5 under max but compressing H-1000. Afraid I am close to done just because of space. Brass grew 2 thousandth from virgin so headspace is very tight.
Probably will leave headspace where it is and see if I can find accuracy around 3100.
Very impressed with this critter on a LA platform.

Also tried Superperformance powder and saw some promise but with the H-1000 results will probably not waste barrel life pursuing. 7828 ran about with book but was miles away from H-1000. There is no book on the Superperformance.

I have always ran extremely overbore stuff just cuz. Now I am going, Hmmmmm 50% less powder and within a very short distance of RUM speeds with a small headspace. I could probably bump headspace up 3 or 4 thousand and get REALLY close to RUM with a barrel that will last a lot longer, kick a lot less and just be more efficient.

This build was a spur of the moment kinda deal. I found the barrel in classifieds here and couldn't pass it up. If I had it to do again I would build the SS like Mudrunner said on a SA and hopefully achieve the same thing.

Try R26, the long throated SAUM's like it!
Thanks. It was my next one to try. Been hard to find local. I'm not an Alliant guy anymore but the 17/19/23/26 look like I need to dip in and try them.
Not sure I wanna do much more than tune up the H-1000. I always prepare myself to run slower than book even with a longer barrel. Running over book speed with 5 gr under is a new one for me I think the chrono was fine as my Creed and Edge were right in line with my usual results and the brass looks as good as I have ever seen. Kinda afraid I will be disappointed with anything else.
Of course in the time it took to type that I decided that 3200 would be reaaaaaally nice.

I'm stepping up from the 7-08, so I don't really feel a need to push the limits. I am not familiar with any powders other than IMR and Hodgdon, both of which I seem to be able find fairly reliably. I think I would rather run a hair slower with a less temperature sensitive powder than not. My first load development for the 7-08 was with 4007SSC, which gave me some real nice shooting rounds in the winter, but was definitely stiff in the summer heat.

Try R26, the long throated SAUM's like it!

Anyone play with the 195s in a LA SAUM build? I had resigned myself to the 175-180 area due to a 9 twist and what I consider a small case and yet with the results I just saw I am really wondering. Not a lot of data floating on the SAUM and even less loaded long.

At one point I had been toying with building a long action 7mm wsm so I could load it real long. I think the SS will work out better, especially since I already have the short action. I think you guys have convinced me on that one. Now I have to figure out other things, like barrel contour, etc. I have always found a bit of weight helps steady a rifle, but I also need to be able to carry it in rough country. I had been thinking about a fluted #6, but I have little idea where that puts the weight. I want something heavier than the standard Remington sporter, but lighter than the Sendero. Maybe closer to the Sendero than the sporter...

At one point I had been toying with building a long action 7mm wsm so I could load it real long. I think the SS will work out better, especially since I already have the short action. I think you guys have convinced me on that one. Now I have to figure out other things, like barrel contour, etc. I have always found a bit of weight helps steady a rifle, but I also need to be able to carry it in rough country. I had been thinking about a fluted #6, but I have little idea where that puts the weight. I want something heavier than the standard Remington sporter, but lighter than the Sendero. Maybe closer to the Sendero than the sporter...
Most barrel makers have a barrel weight calculator on their websites. Add in stock, action, lug, ammo, bases and rings and you can spec a build pretty close.

I love my Model Seven 7 SAUM with the factory 22" barrel. I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm shooting 160 grain Accubonds at 2930 fps at half a grain below Magpro's listed max. COAL is 2.80".

I was already leaning heavily towards the 8-twist barrel. I know my brother loves the 230 OTM Bergers in his 300 WM, and I have no doubt that the Bergers are a good bullet, but I tend to lead toward bullets that stay together. I have been really pleased with the 140 AB in the 7mm-08, but the SAUM should be able to push the 175gr bullets as fast as I am currently shooting that 140. I will probably try the Bergers, probably the 180s or the new 175s, but I like the idea of the ABLR. A bonded bullet that opens even at long distances may be just the ticket, but I have seen some pretty mixed reviews. Honestly though, I've seen mixed reviews with just about any bullet...

Here is what a 150 LRAB does to a deer at 125 yards when fired from a 270SS at 3142' The deer ran 200 yards with a center shoulder shot and the bullet BARELY got into the vitals. I think they would work well at long range, but I think I am done with them.
150 LRAB bullet damage.jpg

Here is what a 150 LRAB does to a deer at 125 yards when fired from a 270SS at 3142' The deer ran 200 yards with a center shoulder shot and the bullet BARELY got into the vitals. I think they would work well at long range, but I think I am done with them.
View attachment 68299

Actually that is pretty scary. A 150gr 270 has a pretty good SD. I rely heavily on SD when figuring prospective performance and would figure most 150gr 270 would shoot thru a deer no matter the construction. Just goes to show that when flinging lead and copper at high speeds a lot of different results can occur.

View attachment 68299

Glad you recovered the deer, Rich. I'm also glad to see I'm not the only person to have an Accubond fail. I had a regular 110 Accubond fail from my .257 Wby. at around 100-125 yards. Mine was not overly explosive, but the opposite, it did not expand. The doe ran nearly 75 yards, and we're lucky we found her right at dark.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.