Help me build a 7saum please

nctta

My staring rifle is a model 70 Pro Stalker in 7wsm. I would like to shoot 140-160 grain bullets and i will primarily use it to deer hunt
I want to rebarrel it in 7saum.
What barrel, twist, and conture?
Action/bolt work needed?
Stock recommendations? I prefer composite.
Any advise on reloading components and process/loads are appreciated.

Thanks!

Derek M.

My staring rifle is a model 70 Pro Stalker in 7wsm. I would like to shoot 140-160 grain bullets and i will primarily use it to deer hunt
Action/bolt work needed?

Thanks!
It's your business but I don't get going from a WSM to the SAUM simply due to potential future brass extinction.

If you want a button barrel, I say HART. Cut rifle, Krieger. I'd go #4.5 contour 27" long with a 9 twist

Your action should be trued of course

McMillan stock

the last question requires some more thought.

Derek M.

I like the most expensive brass first. Lapua, Norma, Nosler. I do NOT like Remington brass. I prefer Winchester and Federal of the most abundant names.

Of the bonded bullets I prefer Swift Scirocco and Accubond.

I think you should look at Barnes' new LRX bullets as well as their TTSX. For high BC bullets, Berger and Hornady AMax, and JLK.

I only use Federal match primers.

Lots of great powders to choose from.

4bycamper

I turned my Browning into a 7 saum. So far, so good. It can hold 5 inches at 500 yards in no wind, when i do my part.

It wears a #4 Douglas conture, 26 inch stainless by McGowan. Not the most popular barrel maker but a good barrel for hunting at a fair price.

Any 8 1/2 to 9 twist will stabilize the 160 through 180 grain bullets.
My favorite powders are Hunter, Varget, H 4831, and Magpro with CCI, Winchester, or Federal primers. When building elk loads, i choose mag primers because I try to hunt in snow and sometimes frozen temps.

My accuracy load with 160 AB's is almost 3000 fps with Magpro.

Hope this helps

teflonhunter

I have a 7 SAUM and love it. It is just a rechambered cut down 7 mag barrel on a short action but it shoots well.

Do you have brass already ? Brass is getting really hard to find for 7 SAUM.

nctta

No brass yet. Can't I just neck down 300saum

Last edited:

nctta

How would that neck comparing to just doing a 7/300wsm then?

flyounger

Action/bolt work needed?

Thanks!
You don't have to rebarrel it if your gunsmith has a barrel reamer I have two 300wsm's and I want to rebarrel one of them to a 7saum or wsm and I have not got the info on either of them to deside

flyounger

You don't have to rebarrel it if your gunsmith has a barrel reamer I have two 300wsm's and I want to rebarrel one of them to a 7saum or wsm and I have not got the info on either of them to deside
You have a good action to start with I beleave you can use the same bolt and action depending on if the bolt fase will excepet it the rifle is a excellent choice

flyounger

Action/bolt work needed?

Thanks!
Hi I have a 300wsm and I want to rebarrel to a 7saum and I just checked the brass and the bolt fase is differant and it won't pick up the brass so check it first before you change barrels or ream this one