Help me build a 7saum please

nctta

My staring rifle is a model 70 Pro Stalker in 7wsm. I would like to shoot 140-160 grain bullets and i will primarily use it to deer hunt
I want to rebarrel it in 7saum.
What barrel, twist, and conture?
Action/bolt work needed?
Stock recommendations? I prefer composite.
Any advise on reloading components and process/loads are appreciated.

Thanks!

My staring rifle is a model 70 Pro Stalker in 7wsm. I would like to shoot 140-160 grain bullets and i will primarily use it to deer hunt
Action/bolt work needed?

Thanks!

It's your business but I don't get going from a WSM to the SAUM simply due to potential future brass extinction.

If you want a button barrel, I say HART. Cut rifle, Krieger. I'd go #4.5 contour 27" long with a 9 twist

Your action should be trued of course

McMillan stock

the last question requires some more thought.

I like the most expensive brass first. Lapua, Norma, Nosler. I do NOT like Remington brass. I prefer Winchester and Federal of the most abundant names.

Of the bonded bullets I prefer Swift Scirocco and Accubond.

I think you should look at Barnes' new LRX bullets as well as their TTSX. For high BC bullets, Berger and Hornady AMax, and JLK.

I only use Federal match primers.

Lots of great powders to choose from.

I turned my Browning into a 7 saum. So far, so good. It can hold 5 inches at 500 yards in no wind, when i do my part.

It wears a #4 Douglas conture, 26 inch stainless by McGowan. Not the most popular barrel maker but a good barrel for hunting at a fair price.

Any 8 1/2 to 9 twist will stabilize the 160 through 180 grain bullets.
My favorite powders are Hunter, Varget, H 4831, and Magpro with CCI, Winchester, or Federal primers. When building elk loads, i choose mag primers because I try to hunt in snow and sometimes frozen temps.

My accuracy load with 160 AB's is almost 3000 fps with Magpro.

Hope this helps

I have a 7 SAUM and love it. It is just a rechambered cut down 7 mag barrel on a short action but it shoots well.

Do you have brass already ? Brass is getting really hard to find for 7 SAUM.

Action/bolt work needed?

Thanks!
You don't have to rebarrel it if your gunsmith has a barrel reamer I have two 300wsm's and I want to rebarrel one of them to a 7saum or wsm and I have not got the info on either of them to deside

You don't have to rebarrel it if your gunsmith has a barrel reamer I have two 300wsm's and I want to rebarrel one of them to a 7saum or wsm and I have not got the info on either of them to deside
You have a good action to start with I beleave you can use the same bolt and action depending on if the bolt fase will excepet it the rifle is a excellent choice

Action/bolt work needed?

Thanks!
Hi I have a 300wsm and I want to rebarrel to a 7saum and I just checked the brass and the bolt fase is differant and it won't pick up the brass so check it first before you change barrels or ream this one

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.