280ai vs 7mm rem mag?

My rifle is a custom that I had built about 4 years ago, on a Browning A-Bolt II action, with a 26" stainless magnum sporter contour 1:9.25" barrel chambered for 7mm RemMag.

View attachment 96272

Alabama hunting is the same way...100 yards max for most folks. But I try to hunt longer ranges when possible. For me, anything inside of 500 is really no challenge at all. I worked in a gun/outdoors store when I was in high school, and the capabilities of your average Alabama hunter would boggle the mind. It almost makes you say, "And we're allowed to sell these folks firearms...And then they're out in the woods where I am!?!?!?" Those experiences are part of the reason why I have only hunted private land since.

Private land still has issues. Close to 40 years ago I was shot by my buddy in a hunting accident. I caught a 00 buckshot in the center of my head. Needless to say I'm much more careful now.

Last edited:
Private land still has issues. Close to 40 years ago I was shot by my buddy in a hunting accident. I caught a 00 buckshot in the center of my head. Needless to say I'm much more careful now.
I've known people that we in hunting accidents. The difference is on private land you know your company. Public you don't (nor do you know how many will benthere, or where they will be).

I will not hunt public land in the south. No way.

I am also trying to decide between the two for a custom build.
I currently load and shoot the 7mag, but the gun is older, it shoots the 168bgrain bullets sub MOA and is deadly on deer, hogs and elk. I was wanting to shoot heavier bullets for a little more energy out to 700 yards but the twist will not stabilize them.

Anyone with experience with the 280AI - how does it shoot the 168s?

280 AI shoots everything in dime size groups. It's not finicky and a dream to reload for. It's shoots 168's at 3000 fps and puts them in a ragged hole. Reloader 23 will get you speed and accuracy but it will shoot so many powders well just throw 55 to 60 grains in there and go enjoy it. H4831, H4350, Rldr 17, H1000, Retumbo, Rldr 22, Rldr 19, Ramshot, IMR 4831, Viht, the list is long. Magnum primers, standard primers makes little difference. It shoots everything and shoots it well. I have both cartridges and choose my 280 AI every time. 7 mag is just gathering dust.

The one thing to think about and is why I decided on the 7 rem mag OVER THE 280AI.

I myself are guilty of this as well as many of the folk here in this community. (Pushing the envelope)
About half of the treads other than the buying/selling go like this;
.... I can get xx fps with xx bullet out of a xxSS or a xxSSM or xxWSM or xxPRC or xx-284 ...ultra super short mag.....

But what happens when you load the 7mag to full capacity? And if you are worried about RECOIL in a LIGHT rifle you can also load LOWER. There are accurate loads that are at lower levels than absolutely maxing it. You can load a 7mag to act like a 7-08 or a 280ai or 7ss.....or.... Stretch out the bullet to 3.4"-3.6" and use slow powder to shoot 162-175g bullets into the 3050-3300fps realm.

Then if you ever run out of PRIMERS you can buy 7mag off the shelf.
While 280ai is pretty popular on the shelf here in Colorado I don't know about everywhere else.

Just my 2 cents

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.