280AI or 7mm Remington Mag?

I'm building a rifle to donate as a fundraiser to the folks at Yellowstone Bible Camp. I have a 7mm barrel Remington long action and long action McMillan stock. I'm trying to decide on caliber, which would you rather have? I think the 280ai is cooler but the 7rm has much more factory ammo support. The goal is to raise money for the camp so I guess the question is which do you think would appeal to more folks?
I would personally rather have a 280AI, but the 7mm might raise more money due to its popularity and the availability of factory ammo.

Last edited:
I say 7mm mag. I would assume the average joe would be more comfortable bidding on a rifle he is familiar with. Also I would bring it fully built because being able to walk out with the gun will bring a lot more bidding imo. Better yet shoot a nice group with it and bring the target proving the accuracy of the gun.

I say 7mm mag. I would assume the average joe would be more comfortable bidding on a rifle he is familiar with. Also I would bring it fully built because being able to walk out with the gun will bring a lot more bidding imo. Better yet shoot a nice group with it and bring the target proving the accuracy of the gun.
^ This. A well built rifle on display would have me bidding on it rather than a list of what I could have.

That's what I was thinking

"I think the 280ai is cooler but the 7rm has much more factory ammo support. The goal is to raise money for the camp so I guess the question is which do you think would appeal to more folks?"

I know that your OP is looking for some direction, however if it were me I think that I would take in to consideration the audience where the rifle is going to be raffled off to help make that decision. If you know the audience that makes cartridge choices easy, if not Glen J Voth's recommendation of offering the winner the option for caliber is a good idea IMHO. As another reply on here stated, I'd be happy with either cartridge as in my opinion other than the .280AI being a new designer cartridge I think they are both in the same league. I believe that the 7mm RemMag is ranked the 5th popular selling cartridge on the market.

As I'm writing this post the thought occurred to me that your action is not a magnum bolt face so another consideration when making the build; modifying the bolt and feed rails for the magnum round??

P.S.: kudos to you for supporting the bible church.

That's a hard choice. 7mm RM is every where and would be easy to get ammo/ supplies. but the 280 AI has the cool factor. I'd say that's a regional choice. What do the shooters in your area go nuts for? That would sell the most tickets. And do you have a lot of reloaders over there? It's been ten years since I frequented the area so I can't make an accurate guess. BTW I think it pretty cool that you're donating the rifle!

I'm building a rifle to donate as a fundraiser to the folks at Yellowstone Bible Camp. I have a 7mm barrel Remington long action and long action McMillan stock. I'm trying to decide on caliber, which would you rather have? I think the 280ai is cooler but the 7rm has much more factory ammo support. The goal is to raise money for the camp so I guess the question is which do you think would appeal to more folks?
7MM Remington Mag....no question.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts