270wsm,280ai or 7mm mag

Didnt know the weatherby vanguard came threaded only caliber I would want with threaded barrel would probably be 300 win mag maybe 7mm mag only for muzzle brakes dont have a can yet

A Silencerco (SiCo) Omega works very well for me on a variety of platforms. I can direct thread it for about 14 ounces of weight but, normally just use Quick-Detach mounts. The muzzle brake mount works pretty well at taming things down for harsh cartridges and, the flash hider is great for "Walter Mitty" adventures assuming non-NFA barrel lengths or really cheap high flash powders and loadings (WWB AR-15 blaster ammo for example).

The muzzle brake on my KAC SR-15 Mod 2 LPR is super smooth and has basically non-existent recoil. With the SiCo ASR muzzle brake, I literally have Ruger 10/22's that recoil harder. It also works exceptionally in the field; I shot a ~30# dog coming straight at me at about 80 yards after watching it a bit and put the round on target and watched the rear end come over the top. It was like that dog coming at me hit a wall at full speed. Does that rifle need a muzzle brake, no not really. However, being able to shoot and not having the reticle move certainly helps with assessing whether a follow-up shot is needed with a dog at full run.

The Vanguard series has models come and go so, whether they have threaded factory options at any given time is a bit of good or bad timing at the moment you look. In my case, #3 barrel with light fluting was tailor-made for what I wanted.

Normally, I'm not a good advocate for Weatherby options but, the little 257 Weatherby won me over. When you move up to other options, recoil and muzzle blast increase and power levels are just excessive for a lot of my uses. I thought about a 264WM but, this won me over. Heavy 6.5mm, 7mm, etc. really get into their own IMHO with heavy game animals though, 6.5mm or 7mm 'magnum' will certainly nail a small deer very hard.

Being able to zero coyote loads for no hold over/under out to ~400 yards and feral hog loads to ~300 yards is hard to ignore. Since most of my shots are inside 200 yards, my elevation and windage concerns are negligible. Having a softer kick to the shoulder is helpful considering I have had it rebuilt once already! 😉

the 280 Ai id a great round and with today powders is very very good. I have owned two they were both very good long rangers. but the old winchester push feed 7 rem mag is better. However in the same 26" bbl the 280 AI will do the same.. so it is up to you..

If the 7RM did not have a belt, it would be the darling of every long range Hunter. I am sort of kicking myself for having my 4th 280ai built. I know the belt does not matter but I have somehow been stupidly influenced by the belt haters. I am having a fairly lightweight 280ai built right now. I would like to do a heavier long range rifle one day. Something kinda similar to a Sendero. If I have this rifle built, it will probably be a 7RM.

Wondering why you call a 7mmRM boring? No attitude, just curious.

Its old vs the new and supposedly improved cartridges. The newer fat shortys have taken some interest over several magnum cartridges and the idea that the 280AI supposedly matchea or beats the 7mm Rem Mag. You'll read this many times but that does not change its effectiveness.

If the 7RM did not have a belt, it would be the darling of every long range Hunter. I am sort of kicking myself for having my 4th 280ai built. I know the belt does not matter but I have somehow been stupidly influenced by the belt haters. I am having a fairly lightweight 280ai built right now. I would like to do a heavier long range rifle one day. Something kinda similar to a Sendero. If I have this rifle built, it will probably be a 7RM.

Belt issues? No issues, get it you wont be disappointed.

If the belt bothers you that much and another 280AI isn't acceptable, there is a whole crop of new beltless 7mm Magnums in various flavors to consider.

Browning x bolt Hells canyon. For the price it's a very good deal for its features. It also comes with a muzzle brake. Many cartridges to choose from and two versions the speed and LR (long range) to suit your needs. I have been more than happy with all my x bolts but some people dislike them too. I have never seen them in 280 AI but they make them in 270 wsm, 7mm mag and 300 win mag as well as 300 wsm, 300 RUM and 300 PRC. Good luck
I really like my hells canyon long range. I own one in 7 mm rem mag and 300 win mag. Both shoot sub 1/2 MOA with reloads. The 7mm cycles great but the 300 win mag has feeding issues out of the magazine which is more prominent with reloads. I called the factory and this is a known problem with the 300 win mag and they are working on it.

I love my browning but I would suggest something other than the 300 win mag for that reason. 7mm or 300 PRC or really anything but the 300 win mag. Love the caliber, love the gun, but browning mags in 300 win mag really suck. No other aftermarket mags available either.

If the 7RM did not have a belt, it would be the darling of every long range Hunter.

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

I really like my hells canyon long range. I own one in 7 mm rem mag and 300 win mag. Both shoot sub 1/2 MOA with reloads. The 7mm cycles great but the 300 win mag has feeding issues out of the magazine which is more prominent with reloads. I called the factory and this is a known problem with the 300 win mag and they are working on it.

I love my browning but I would suggest something other than the 300 win mag for that reason. 7mm or 300 PRC or really anything but the 300 win mag. Love the caliber, love the gun, but browning mags in 300 win mag really suck. No other aftermarket mags available either.
I've looked at the browning x bolt I'm trying to find a dealer near me

All three cartridges are great choices, but the 7mm Rem Mag takes the #1 spot for me.

I am a 7mm fan but I have shot the 270 and it just plain kills. The 280AI os lota of fun as well. Bit rhe 7mm Rem Mag has more power, more factory ammo optipns if you dont reload, if you reload tons of components available. Yes the 280AI is sexier but its still not the 7mm Rem Mag. I find the recoil in all three very similar.

The 7mm Rem Mag is a boring cartridge I know, but it just works, from 120gr to 180gr bullets, what else do you need.

Hope this helps and stay safe

This...........covers it all!

If the belt bothers you that much and another 280AI isn't acceptable, there is a whole crop of new beltless 7mm Magnums in various flavors to consider.

I love the 280ai. The decision for a 280ai build was made in January. If I had not ordered all of the parts for this build, I might have now done a 7RM build first. My goal is a few great rifles. Right now only own one cf rifle. It is a 6.5x47 hunting rifle. I have sold or given away rifles that I did not want to keep for whatever reason.

Does anyone know if McMillan is on track with production? I have not heard anything about major shutdowns in AZ but could have missed it. I have a pair of Filson boots being refurbished in Seattle. I got a shipping notice and tracking number in early March. They never shipped and are still sitting in Seattle. No big deal but curious if Mcmillan is behind.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts