280ai vs 7mm rem mag?

Emoji button get stuck?

And yes, I guarantee you he'll be more than happy to sell you a set...But reamers are rentals only. You cannot buy the reamers, since they are proprietary. Why don't you ask the man himself, instead of asking me. His username is "elkaholic".

Ok how close in ballistics and energy are these two rifles with the same weight of bullet? Thinking of maybe a 280ai when my 270 needs a new barrel. How would the 280ai be for moose and elk and deer?

The 280 AI would be my first choice for a rebarrel on what you already have. It would be just a straight re barrel with little if any changes to your rifle.

There are many reasons for picking a particular cartridge and comparing one to another is not a good way to decide in my opinion.

Some are interested in the maximum velocity. some are interested in
efficiency (How much powder it takes to drive a certain weight bullet to a desired velocity) some are interested in barrel life, and others are interested in case life. The list goes on and on.

The best way of choosing is to sort all of these requirements out, and decide which is best for your needs.

All cartridges have there strong points and weak points so the choice should be what works best for you, Not what me or someone else says is best. (We all have our opinions).

In comparing the 280 AI to the 7 rem mag, they are very close to the same ballistics.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Not supposed to forget your ammo. One advantage of the AI is that the parent ammo works fine, if set up properly. So buy .280 Rem and use it in your AI. You are just fire forming some cases.

How easy is it to find 280AI or 280 Sherman in Omak or Trout Lake , WA?

You can order loaded Nosler or Hornady 280AI ammo online 7 days a week if you can't find it in a store.
I've built 5 280AI custom rifles and have 2 more on the way and although I can handload I shoot factory ammo most the time with superb accuracy, not to take anything away from the Sherman cartridges but the 280AI imho one of the very best standard cartridges made for an everyday hunting in which you can buy factory ammo for.
Ive used 7mm rem mag, 7mm wby mag, 28 Nosler and the gun I pick up every time heading out the door is the 280AI.

You can order loaded Nosler or Hornady 280AI ammo online 7 days a week if you can't find it in a store.
I've built 5 280AI custom rifles and have 2 more on the way and although I can handload I shoot factory ammo most the time with superb accuracy, not to take anything away from the Sherman cartridges but the 280AI imho one of the very best standard cartridges made for an everyday hunting in which you can buy factory ammo for.
Ive used 7mm rem mag, 7mm wby mag, 28 Nosler and the gun I pick up every time heading out the door is the 280AI.
It still amazes me that people are scared to order powder, primers, and ammo online. I've had this conversation with many folks, and majority of them think that the Feds are going to show up at their door, or that it's going to put them on some watchlist... :rolleyes:

The sad reality of all this, is that we're ALL already being monitored and data-mined for building an IMF on each and every person on earth (NSA, Patriot Act, etc...), and if you've ever bought a gun (regardless of what kind), or had a NICS check called in, or a CCW permit background check (FBI background check) then you're already on a watchlist. So, buying ammo or reloading stuff online won't get you on one any faster. As long as you don't plan on doing anything wrong, who friggin cares. Just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.