280AI or 7mm Remington Mag?

I'm building a rifle to donate as a fundraiser to the folks at Yellowstone Bible Camp. I have a 7mm barrel Remington long action and long action McMillan stock. I'm trying to decide on caliber, which would you rather have? I think the 280ai is cooler but the 7rm has much more factory ammo support. The goal is to raise money for the camp so I guess the question is which do you think would appeal to more folks?
since you don't know who is going to get the rifle go with a more standardized round with the widest available ammo supply

7mm mag hands down. The 280AI is a great caliber but I feel like people are always trying to make it preform like a 7mag. Some do some don't. If u want 7mag performance. Buy a 7mag. If u want more get a 7/300 win mag. Or 7mm Practical which is the same thing but with 30 degree shoulder.

I would rather have a 280AI, but the 7mm Rem Mag is probably better known; there is certainly a wider range of factory loads available for the latter.

But I'm with those who say let the winner choose the cartridge.

Last edited:
Seems to me that, if there are no legal obstacles that cannot be overcome, a 10-20 dollar raffle ticket would potentially bring in a LOT more revenue than an auction. Just my HO.

Agreed! It's a fundraising and I understand OP says it is going to be an auction. The advantage of raffle over auction is that, in raffle supporters need not be present. At the end of the day, all it matters is the net donation for the cause. My friend sold over $300 (for a $279 rifle) in ticket sales in my squadron alone in a couple of days. The regular supporters that are willing and able to support with $10 to $50 or so might not bid on a $1K+ semi-custom rifle and most that will bid on it probably knows the components and cost associated with it. Something to ponder ...

Agreed! It's a fundraising and I understand OP says it is going to be an auction. The advantage of raffle over auction is that, in raffle supporters need not be present. At the end of the day, all it matters is the net donation for the cause. My friend sold over $300 (for a $279 rifle) in ticket sales in my squadron alone in a couple of days. The regular supporters that are willing and able to support with $10 to $50 or so might not bid on a $1K+ semi-custom rifle and most that will bid on it probably knows the components and cost associated with it. Something to ponder ...
at most gun auctions guns usually go high priced especially at benefits

at most gun auctions guns usually go high priced especially at benefits

Perhaps, but with raffle you do not need an event or an auctioneer. As I noted on my original response, a $279 rifle donation generated $1500 in ticket sales (over 5 times the value of the rifle), not too shabby. Another advantage of raffle is that you are not limited to the allotted auction time. The bottom-line is not to complicate the OP's good hearted intentions unnecessarily.

Last edited:
I'm building a rifle to donate as a fundraiser to the folks at Yellowstone Bible Camp. I have a 7mm barrel Remington long action and long action McMillan stock. I'm trying to decide on caliber, which would you rather have? I think the 280ai is cooler but the 7rm has much more factory ammo support. The goal is to raise money for the camp so I guess the question is which do you think would appeal to more folks?
Build the 7mm Rem. Mag. You want a rifle with a chambering that can be used by whoever wins, and is easily available. You also want a popular caliber.

I would go 7mm Rem mag. More ammo options, a little more power if you want more but if not you can get ligher loads. If you have a 280 AI you can't quite load to 7 Rem mag power. If you reloaded easier to find brass. But don't go with the common 7 mm Rem mag twist rate of 9.5. Do a 9 Twist or faster. American rifle companies don't seem to have a real handle on longer range rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.