What makes the 6.5 PRC special?

The 150 smk is marginally stable in 1:8, as speed drops through the shot distance, BC deteriorates. I know some guys have had luck pushing it above 3k fps in 6.5 saum and larger cases. Will the prc have the capacity to stabilize it in a 1:8, higher altitude probably yes, sea level, I don't think it will.

After 8 pages I'm still waiting to be told what makes it special?
I run 264WM's, they appear more special than this cartridge.............oh, that's right, they're housed in an action that is 3/8" longer, my bad.

Cheers.

It special because it's the first commercially available Short Action short mag 6.5 cartridge, it's very good cartridge design, it has low recoil, it has reasonably priced readily available quality factory ammo unlike some older belted 6.5s

Is there other commercially available 6.5mm cartridges similar in performance....sure is, but some of them cartridges you can only find brass for them at an antique store !

If I had a 264 win mag I wouldn't sell it to get a 6.5 PRC but would certainly look at the benefits of that new design once the throat wears out in my overbore designed cartridge.

It special because it's the first commercially available Short Action short mag 6.5 cartridge, it's very good cartridge design, it has low recoil, it has reasonably priced readily available quality factory ammo unlike some older belted 6.5s

Is there other commercially available 6.5mm cartridges similar in performance....sure is, but some of them cartridges you can only find brass for them at an antique store !

If I had a 264 win mag I wouldn't sell it to get a 6.5 PRC but would certainly look at the benefits of that new design once the throat wears out in my overbore designed cartridge.
What's wrong with belted cartridges? I keep hearing people bring this crap up, but nobody ever has any proof as to how the belt causes issues, other than a bunch of BS from some BS gun mag article full of pseudoscientific views, from many years ago in an attempt to try to push non-belted cartrdige designs.

If I were building a rifle, and since I loaded all my own ammo, there's no way in hell I'd pick the 6.5 PRC. There's much better out there, like the 6.5 SS. And now that ADG is making proper head stamped 6.5 SAUM brass and 6.5 SS brass, there is no point in building a 6.5 PRC over a 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 SS.

Now, if you just want to buy a rifle and buy factory ammo (just like the Creedmoor)...Then I can see it having some relevance. Other than that, it really has nothing other cartridges already offer, and do a better job at.

What's wrong with belted cartridges? I keep hearing people bring this crap up, but nobody ever has any proof as to how the belt causes issues, other than a bunch of BS from some BS gun mag article full of pseudoscientific views, from many years ago in an attempt to try to push non-belted cartrdige designs.

If I were building a rifle, and since I loaded all my own ammo, there's no way in hell I'd pick the 6.5 PRC. There's much better out there, like the 6.5 SS. And now that ADG is making proper head stamped 6.5 SAUM brass and 6.5 SS brass, there is no point in building a 6.5 PRC over a 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 SS.

Now, if you just want to buy a rifle and buy factory ammo (just like the Creedmoor)...Then I can see it having some relevance. Other than that, it really has nothing other cartridges already offer, and do a better job at.
Only issue with the 6.5 ss is your forking out 2.50 a piece for brass. I understand that's probably not a bad price for headstamped brass, but it's more than myself and many other people want to pay for brass. Sure I'd pay 1.00 or 1.25 but not 2.50. With the advent of adg making 6.5mm saum, I may be doing one of those next. I was going to do a prc but this does change things alittle. The SAUM should have a few more fps over the prc

This is exactly what everyone keeps saying! That's what makes the PRC relevant.

Nothing wrong with the belts mud. I think the thing will catch cause people don't want to reload or haven't.
In the end it really doesn't matter who can **** on the wall higher its where you hit them!

I'm seriously looking at getting a christensen arms mesa long range in 6.5 prc. A 140 grain high bc bullet at 3100 fps sounds very nice for big bodied Indiana whitetail across corn and bean fields

I just don't understand why so many love the 6.5-284, then this gives people the option for a repeater short action replica and it's trash. Because it's hornady I guess, and because within a year of release it doesn't have lapua brass :rolleyes:

Only issue with the 6.5 ss is your forking out 2.50 a piece for brass. I understand that's probably not a bad price for headstamped brass, but it's more than myself and many other people want to pay for brass. Sure I'd pay 1.00 or 1.25 but not 2.50. With the advent of adg making 6.5mm saum, I may be doing one of those next. I was going to do a prc but this does change things alittle. The SAUM should have a few more fps over the prc
A lot of us are used to paying $3.00 each for Nosler 7STW brass, so $2.00-$2.50 would be a nice break. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.