6.5 prc what action

Anything with a magnum bolt face, my dad has a short action X-Bolt in 6.5 PRC while I built mine on a long action using AICS mags. Some of the longer loads may be a bit long for a true 2.8" short action but anything that will accept SA AICS mags should allow loading out to 2.9"+

As for PTG I have heard they are going though some issues so I would think it best to do some additional research before buying from them.

Forget blueprinted 700's and have a look at either the new Defiance Tenacity or the Alamo Precision Rifles actions. Both actions are custom and run about $825. Lot more action for just a couple hundred dollars more than the PTG.

For the 6.5 PRC you'll want to use a long action. If you want to get full performance from the case design, you'll want to seat the heavy bullets long to maximize case capacity. A short action magazine probably won't be able to accommodate a 6.5 PRC with heavy 140gr VLD style bullets seated out where they need to be.

Make sure you do some research after deciding what bullet you intend to shoot. The 156 Berger will be over 3.0" touching the lands of SAAMI chamber(.188 freebore). I personally would not build one on a short action. I would go with a Tikka, a medium, or even long.

Due to the short fat design of the 6.5 PRC, like the 6.5 Creedmoor, it allows you to seat long bullets long without the cartridge over all length being excessively long. I own a Savage 110 High Country and load the Hornady 147 gr. ELD-M to 2.990" and still fit the magazine

Due to the short fat design of the 6.5 PRC, like the 6.5 Creedmoor, it allows you to seat long bullets long without the cartridge over all length being excessively long. I own a Savage 110 High Country and load the Hornady 147 gr. ELD-M to 2.990" and still fit the magazine

Are you aware that a Savage "110" is a LONG action?

Are you aware that a Savage "110" is a LONG action?
No the Savage 110 High Country 6.5 PRC is a short action. I bought a short action Leupold picatinny rail for it. The magazine length is 3 inches. Some of the other calibers are long action, such as the 300 WM. The magazine on that is closer to 4 inches. So it depends on the caliber, but they're all 110s

Last edited:
All the savages are 110's again. Go figure!

Figures...more confusion in their mess of rifles. I guess it makes more sense that way since all their rifles are essentially the same exact thing. Havent really changed anything in decades. They just give them a new paint job and fancy new names and people pay way more money for them. Their sales team is pure genius ;)

Last edited:
I think a Nosler 48 would make a fine action for a 6.5 PRC, a Tikka T3, one of those Lone Peak medium actions would be cool--I wish TL would make lefty's and I try out one...but a Remington short action...id say no...

No the Savage 110 High Country is a short action. I bought a short action Leupold picatinny rail for it

FYI. You might have a short action, but that same rifle is also offered in long action chamberings. So it would seem elkaholic is correct that they've changed it all up again.

Back in the day they were all long actions and they would just do a smaller mag cut in the receiver for the cartridges suited for a short action.

Screenshot_20191112-213244_Chrome.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.