6.5 prc what action

What action does the 6.5 prc use? What is your opinion of the ptg blueprinted actions?
Step 1, any action used must have a magnum bolt face.

I used a Defiance medium action, XM, to give me plenty of room to load the heavier bullets without sacrificing case space and going to a full long action. I have the throat set up to put the base of the 143-147 class bullets right at the case neck junction with the bullet in the lands. Most of my accurate loads are running just over 3.0in. They all cycle great from the Defiance BDL style mag.

My second choice, if I was keep costs down, would be a standard long action. There can be some feeding issues but most gun Smith's can fix them. Of course this will eliminate any cartridge length issues so you can throat it long for all the new 6.5 bullets out now.

My last choice would be a standard short action. It can be done and is being done with them but there are some potential draw backs, the biggest of which is limiting your OAL to 2.995ish to fit in a magazine. You just can't squeeze every ounce out the case with one of these setups without running tight on the pressure wall.

I'm easily reaching 3040fps with the 156 Berger in my XM long throated setup with no pressure issues.

3030-3050 seems to be the sweetspot for the 156 berg
I was just hoping to reach 3000 using H1000 and had a good node there but was able to push it a small amount more and still not hit pressure. I would like to try some n565 as well.

Last edited:
Thank you! Will any tikka donor work? I've always been fascinated by tikkas actions... Can you guide me in the right way for a tikka... I like the m40 style stocks... I was going to go witha 23" barrel... I have to decide on what bullets... Once I get me reloading equipment back up and running it will open up the door for more bullet choices... I seen 156 Berger was recommended....

You will need one with a mag bolt face for the 6.5 PRC. I personally would buy a "long action" cartridge such as the 300 win so you don't have to swap the bolt stop out(which is no big deal other than extra money). I like the Mesa Precision stocks and they make one for Tikka. I would also consider getting a magazine from Hells Canyon armory although that is not mandatory. Feel free to PM any specifics. Do a little googling first to see what is out there and what you may like.

Yep, add fuel to the fire bashing a great American Co. By all means buy foreign. Nothing Made In America is worth having.

Yep, add fuel to the fire bashing a great American Co. By all means buy foreign. Nothing Made In America is worth having.

Older Remingtons were great, the new ones not so much. My family had a number of older ones and I grew up thinking Remingtons were great based on our 870's and 7600's and my 1903 Springfield. Our friend has a number of older 700's and they are all nice with deep blued metal and a quality high gloss finish on the wood. When I was starting looking at long range rifles the first ones I looked at were the Remington 700s based on my experiences with their older stuff.

My opinion started to change after my brother got a new 7600, the wood was plain, the finish was lackluster and the metal would have an orange film after a day of hunting in the fog. Next my cousin got an 11-87 that had the curious issue of the trigger going dead when it got warm to the point that he couldn't even finish a round of trap. Between those two guns and others I have handled I honestly believe that Remington is living off their name and these days there are far more higher quality options to chose from.

As for buying American, I did exactly that and bought three actions from the American Rifle Company which is a small shop outside of Seattle, WA. I personally am a CRF guy so the 700 does nothing for me but if I'm spending the money to build a custom why cheap out on the heart of the rifle when there are ?

Ted is an interesting and opinionated dude...I kind of like him...I like his actions...not the bolt knob...but it works....

That he is but as an engineer I can relate, it's like an unspoken rule that we have to have some quirks or we don't get our degree.

As for the bolt knob I like the uniqueness of it, the raw callouses on my right index finger not so much but it does make them instantly recognizable.

Step 1, any action used must have a magnum bolt face.

I used a Defiance medium action, XM, to give me plenty of room to load the heavier bullets without sacrificing case space and going to a full long action. I have the throat set up to put the base of the 143-147 class bullets right at the case neck junction with the bullet in the lands. Most of my accurate loads are running just over 3.0in. They all cycle great from the Defiance BDL style mag.

My second choice, if I was keep costs down, would be a standard long action. There can be some feeding issues but most gun Smith's can fix them. Of course this will eliminate any cartridge length issues so you can throat it long for all the new 6.5 bullets out now.

My last choice would be a standard short action. It can be done and is being done with them but there are some potential draw backs, the biggest of which is limiting your OAL to 2.995ish to fit in a magazine. You just can't squeeze every ounce out the case with one of these setups without running tight on the pressure wall.

I'm easily reaching 3040fps with the 156 Berger in my XM long throated setup with no pressure issues.
Thank you!

You will need one with a mag bolt face for the 6.5 PRC. I personally would buy a "long action" cartridge such as the 300 win so you don't have to swap the bolt stop out(which is no big deal other than extra money). I like the Mesa Precision stocks and they make one for Tikka. I would also consider getting a magazine from Hells Canyon armory although that is not mandatory. Feel free to PM any specifics. Do a little googling first to see what is out there and what you may like.
Thank you! I will

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.