What makes the 6.5 PRC special?

I do have a small stock of Lake City 7.62x51 brass that I use to recreate my own version of M118LR ammo, and my favorite 5.56 brass is Lake City 5.56, I also cut it down and use it for .300 BLK. :cool:

Have you had an actual look at the case of the 300 PRC ?
It's not a necked up 6.5 PRC
You should actually do some research on the 300 PRC cartridge so you know what the benefits of the chambering are.

YEP. Totally stuck my foot in my mouth on this one. I get the award for being a dumbbell. Can't deny it. I did do research....after the fact. Duh! My apologies.

Not sure if anyone answered this but I couldn't find it if so.

The 300 PRC is entirely different than the rcm and is not a necked up 6.5 prc. It is a long action magnum that's built for heavy 30 caliber bullets at over win mag speeds. Very different than the failed RCM.
YEP. As I told weatherby fan, I stuck my foot...no wait...my whole leg in my mouth on this one. My apologies for being stupid.

As far as the rcm being a failure, perhaps, but I have 2 of them. A 300rcm and a 338rcm. I like them both, but hey, they shoot good.

YEP. As I told weatherby fan, I stuck my foot...no wait...my whole leg in my mouth on this one. My apologies for being stupid.

As far as the rcm being a failure, perhaps, but I have 2 of them. A 300rcm and a 338rcm. I like them both, but hey, they shoot good.

No worries it happens. I probably jumped the gun on "failure" but it did seem to flop pretty hard.

Though I have considered an RCM for a shorty woods stalker

YEP. Totally stuck my foot in my mouth on this one. I get the award for being a dumbbell. Can't deny it. I did do research....after the fact. Duh! My apologies.

Lol gosh no need to apologize, when I heard it was coming out I assumed it was just a necked up 6.5 PRC myself
I finally called Hornady and got them to email me the drawing of the cartridge.

No worries it happens. I probably jumped the gun on "failure" but it did seem to flop pretty hard.

Though I have considered an RCM for a shorty woods stalker
Yep. If I'm being completely honest, I'd have to agree, they flopped, but heck, they fit right in with my other redheaded step-guns.

Hornady marketing is genius......they have absolutely nailed the love/hate cartridges which I'm starting to believe was on purpose.......18 pages of people talking about their new cartridge! If these cartridges didn't make anger flair up, they wouldn't be talked about near as much!

Interesting take on the subject, and probably alot of truth there. The 6.5 creedmoor is certainly starting alot of conversations on alot of different forums.

Having spent a 45+ year career heavily involved new product commercialization in the high tech market, I have bought into the well established principle that acceptance/success with technical products is the result of one, or a combination of following factors:

1. A genuine technology advantage/innovation.
2. Strong acceptance and promotion by the industry thought leaders
3. mistake/oversight of a competitor(s)

IMO, the success of the 6.5 CM, likely the 6.5PRC, and the new 300PRC, will be the obvious result of #2 and #3. While Hornady may push #1 as their main feature, they are simply commercialized "improvements", most of which a smaller set of customers(many of us) have practiced for years. In the end, whether a scientist or a shooter, when the mass market buys in, perception becomes reality. If the market thinks it's special.....it is. I think Hornady gets a lot of credit for doing their homework, and executing well.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.