What makes the 6.5 PRC special?

MTGunner

Gentlemen, just throwing this out for discussion. Therefore, what does this cartridge offer versus the 260, the 6.5 Creedmore, the 6.5x55 and so n and etc.
This not to inspire agitation, merely discussion as have been hunting with my 260AI for some time and am interested in all .264 offerings.
Thanks for the input. MTG

While I haven't spent much time looking at the prc, I will agree with Weiser about Hornady brass. Hornady brass is a huge hold up for me on any of their cartridges. I wouldn't even consider trading a 260 Ackley for a Prc.

It gives more velocity than the ones you've mentioned but offers nothing new in the magnum field, that it should be compared too, as far as velocity. I think the biggest thing they have going is affordable ammo that performs pretty well providing you consider it's throw away brass. It does appeal to the masses, for that reason.

Ok for a serious answer..
It's a short action cartridge that will drive a 147 ELD-M around 3000 FPS without being excessively over bore.

Like the Creedmoor it'll have factory match grade ammo, and there will be a good selection of factory fast twist rifles. Big advantage for those that don't hand load.
The 6.5 PRC being a magnum bolt face will be a great option for people with magnums to build a really effective, light recoiling, and light weight long range rifle.
Not really any earth shattering ballistic advantages with the PRC, just another option..

If brass is it's worst attribute then have no fear.. I just spoke with a rep from ADG, and was told that 6.5 PRC brass is being tested right now. Should be released around Shot Show.

Ok for a serious answer..
It's a short action cartridge that will drive a 147 ELD-M around 3000 FPS without being excessively over bore.

Like the Creedmoor it'll have factory match grade ammo, and there will be a good selection of factory fast twist rifles. Big advantage for those that don't hand load.
The 6.5 PRC being a magnum bolt face will be a great option for people with magnums to build a really effective, light recoiling, and light weight long range rifle.
Not really any earth shattering ballistic advantages with the PRC, just another option..

If brass is it's worst attribute then have no fear.. I just spoke with a rep from ADG, and was told that 6.5 PRC brass is being tested right now. Should be released around Shot Show.

I just want ADG to make PRC brass so we can have a source for 375 Ruger cylinder brass for wildcatting!

That would be a BIG improvement!

I was actually going to start calling around next week to see who I could get to make some 375 Ruger cylinder brass. I figured if I could get a reasonable minimum order (3000-5000 pieces) somebody might be willing to do it. It seems like the PRC line of cartridges would do really well if the brass quality was a little better.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts