What makes the 6.5 PRC special?

As some mentioned above pretty easy to obtain 3000-3100 FPS in a SA magnum if you will, cheap accurate factory ammo and with that being said Hornady makes/produces enough ammo so it's on the store shelves even in Canada, is that marketing Mumbo Jumbo ? Nope it's a fact I can grab a box of $40 ammo and go shoot .3" MOA groups with my 6.5 PRC,

is it any better than my 6.5-284 or a few other 6.5s not really but I don't have the reasonably priced ammo for my 6.5-284 either unless I handload, Nosler ammo is about twice what Hornady charges and it's no better imho.

I am surprised at all the negativity around the cartridge, you would think Hornady had done something wrong with introducing a new SA 6.5 mag cartridge with factory head stamped brass, something Remington and Winchester dropped the ball on ?
For the life of me I can't figure out why they never introduced the 6.5 in their respective SA cartridge lineups ????

Either way good to hear ADG and Bertram will be producing quality headstamped brass for the 6.5 PRC
Rumour is Lapua is thinking hard about adding it to their brass lineup.

On another note I received my reamer in the mail for my 300 PRC build !

Weatherby I have to agree with you it is good to go buy accurate ammo off the shelves,and go shoot. My kids 65 CM is like that the cheapest Hornady ammo,and shoots stupid accurate so much I quit reloading for his rifle.
I think for the average person wanting a good 6.5 in factory setting with good avalible factory ammo it will last,and with the addition of aftermarket brass reloaders will take a shine to it eventually.
Personally tho if I'm gonna reload for a SA mag round it will be a Sherman!!

If Hornady would have loaded to 6.5 Remington with their newer bullets same-same...

They have great marketing. Anyone remember the 6mm Hagar from a few years back? See any ammo or brass for it lately?
6.5 Creedmoor got popular and multiple companies started manufacturing quality brass for it. Companies started making quality brass for the 6.5 Creedmoor and it got MORE popular.

Good luck

Jerry

The Creedmoor has the same brand of brass and it's the best thing ever invented according to the internet...so why does all other Hornady brass suck? Sure, it's not Lapua but it's also half the price.
Nope. The CM using Hornady brass still sucks. Lapua, Alpha, ADG are all making 6.5CM & 6CM Small Rifle primer brass. THAT is where the CM brass shines.

And marketing. I wouldn't say 6.5CM factory ammo is any more accurate than a lot of others. But hype to the masses about accuracy makes it sell.

I had one to be built at Alamo rifles--they had so much trouble with the specs of the reamer I lost interest--after of 8 months of delays.. It is right at the limits of a short action--so bullet seating depth will always be a limiting factor--or put it in a long action--and then you might as well have something else like a 6.5-06, 280 ackley ect...I love my creedmoor--I've owened 2 6.5-284s,and I feel it is every bit as good as a 6.5 PRC with better brass options--but really needs a long action--and the PRC could benefit from that too.

I had one to be built at Alamo rifles--they had so much trouble with the specs of the reamer I lost interest--after of 8 months of delays.. It is right at the limits of a short action--so bullet seating depth will always be a limiting factor--or put it in a long action--and then you might as well have something else like a 6.5-06, 280 ackley ect...I love my creedmoor--I've owened 2 6.5-284s,and I feel it is every bit as good as a 6.5 PRC with better brass options--but really needs a long action--and the PRC could benefit from that too.

When was this and what were your issues? I'm assuming its freebore related as the newer spec is .188. Mine is cut to .133 freebore

I thought about building a 6.5 PRC but I have a 6.5 X 284?
Couldn't justify it? They are pretty close. Now a 300 PRC..Hmmmm.

Agreed that 300 PRC does look interesting... I am not a fan of excessive recoil so being able to get 300 win mag results without the punishment is big for me!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.