6.5 prc what action

This is my first post in this site. I've been shooting, hunting, and reloading for over 50 years. Been hunting with traditional rifles and mostly with handguns. It hasn't been till last year that I started to read and watch videos on long range hunting and target shooting. I mus admit that its become an addiction. I recently purchased a Bergara Mountain in 6.5 PRC. I never thought the short action it came with might no be the best option. I've been shooting the Hornady 140gr ELD Match at an OAL of 2.960" with no problem in the magazine which measures 3.004". I guess I made a mistake, and accepted the short action. Didn't know any better. But I'm glad I joined this forum//
A magazine that measures 3.004 is a lot longer than a standard short action. 2.9-2.95 is on the short end for that case in my opinion. You have 50k space to work with things, that flexible in my opinion. Plus you have the ability for very low cost to put a longer magazines in it.

A magazine that measures 3.004 is a lot longer than a standard short action. 2.9-2.95 is on the short end for that case in my opinion. You have 50k space to work with things, that flexible in my opinion. Plus you have the ability for very low cost to put a longer magazines in it.
THat's good to know. I wouldn't want to spend too much more money on it. I'm just beginning to reload for it, and I have maintained the OAL of 2.960". I haven't tried reloading haevier and longer bullets. I have found the 140gr to be a great bullet for caliber so far.

Here is my PRC off my old 7mm RUM. Has a 27in Bartlein barrel, Timney trigger, HS Precision bottom metal with a 6.5 PRC magazine which has a 3.1" COAL. With the 156, it has a COAL to the lands at 3.050 and a CBTO of 2.349. I havent loaded anything yet, but with 147gr factory ammo I am getting an avg of 3030fps and .5 MOA at 100yds. Its a lot more pleasant to shoot than the RUM.
20200811_182546.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.