What makes the 6.5 PRC special?

There's a article in the new hodgdon annual on loading the 6.5 prc. Of coarse it only contains their powders but they reached 3,000fps with a couple loads

There's a article in the new hodgdon annual on loading the 6.5 prc. Of coarse it only contains their powders but they reached 3,000fps with a couple loads

Maybe or maybe not they can achieve that speed, however I bet that is on the very top end and no where near a accuracy load.

Alf on accurate shooter backed it down to 3025 with 150smk(Alfa loads are over SA dbm mag length), another poster in the same thread is over 3100 with 150 and H1000 saying .75"@200. Both touting impressive H brass vs other calibers of H brass

Last week on 6.5 prc Facebook one posted stated they were retiring 50 cases after 10 loadings. 2 annealings over their lifespan

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not been a creed fan from the get go because of lack luster velocities but the 6.5 prc is right in the performance parameter I'm looking for

I haven't purchased a gun yet! Still doing homework on guns and components for it

When u have 16 different cartridges to reload for and would rather shoot, hunt, compete more than you reload and burn barrels up working up load data it's nice to have a couple
( 6.5 CM/PRC ) that I can buy factory ammo for and hit consistently out to 800/1000. If I had a few diff rifles maybe not an advantage but to ME
Both the CM and the PRC allow a grab and go peice of kit.

What's wrong with belted cartridges? I keep hearing people bring this crap up, but nobody ever has any proof as to how the belt causes issues, other than a bunch of BS from some BS gun mag article full of pseudoscientific views, from many years ago in an attempt to try to push non-belted cartrdige designs.

If I were building a rifle, and since I loaded all my own ammo, there's no way in hell I'd pick the 6.5 PRC. There's much better out there, like the 6.5 SS. And now that ADG is making proper head stamped 6.5 SAUM brass and 6.5 SS brass, there is no point in building a 6.5 PRC over a 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 SS.

Now, if you just want to buy a rifle and buy factory ammo (just like the Creedmoor)...Then I can see it having some relevance. Other than that, it really has nothing other cartridges already offer, and do a better job at.

Where did I say there's anything wrong with a belted cartridge ? have a look at my online name, Ive owned more belted cartridge chambered rifles than most.

I only stated that it's harder to get brass or ammo for some older belted cartridges, ie- 6.5 RM

Only issue with the 6.5 ss is your forking out 2.50 a piece for brass. I understand that's probably not a bad price for headstamped brass, but it's more than myself and many other people want to pay for brass. Sure I'd pay 1.00 or 1.25 but not 2.50. With the advent of adg making 6.5mm saum, I may be doing one of those next. I was going to do a prc but this does change things alittle. The SAUM should have a few more fps over the prc

Rich "torture" tested his 6.5SS ADG brass, loaded 20 times back to back and primer pockets were still good. Sounds to me like a better investment with that kind of case life. Who knows how many firings it will actually last.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.