Was the 6.5 cm really a necessity?

Okay, nevermind about Santa.
The 6.5 Creedmoor vs. 260 Rem debate seems to really light some of you up. I own one and am building the other, does that make me a paragon of tolerance or a traitor to the true faith? Was the 260 designed wrong? Not at the time. Long for caliber high BC bullets had not become the rage yet, and with the common bullet shapes of the day the 260, like the 308 from whence it derived fit in M14 sized magazine boxes. Rifle makers sold twist rates that worked with the popular bullets then in use and throated just long enough to keep handloaders who wanted to run repeaters from jamming into the lands and hurting themselves if they got carried away chasing velocity. Those who wanted close jump accuracy single-loaded or built on a long action (like my 260). Shooters of average stature often found that long action bolt travel led to smacking themselves in the snout when shooting fast strings, but short actions saved them from a busted nose. I bought my first 308 for just that reason. Gramp's 3006 forced me to move my head to the side when running the bolt, and the short action solved that problem for me. Now full grown, I am just tall and long enough to run long actions while keeping the sight picture, but I am not selling off any of my "little" rifles. For those who need shorter LOP stocks and a short action to shoot fast the shorter Creedmoor case does just what Emary made it to do: seat longer high BC bullets out to the lands but inside a standard SA magazine in a repeating rifle whether bolt or self-loader. I seem to recall Tubbs creating the 6XC to solve the same issues of the 243 win but don't recall a similar ****-storm following. I say to all of you: shoot whichever you like, be it century old classic, or flavor of the week. After all, they sell plenty of chevys, fords, dodges, and even some others now.

When you can go buy a swede that will run on factory ammo and shoot a 5" group at over 1200 with that box ammo let us know. That way you can be the start of the revision of the swede
[/QUOTE]
Well I don't shoot factory ammo. I know I can make more accurate ammo my self. Good handloads will always be better than factory ammo. If I'm shooting long range I want to load my own instead of trusting a assembly line. Not knocking the Creedmoor as I said before I own one. But some guys act like it's the best cartridge ever invented and it's not.

....The one thing the 6.5 Swede wasn't doing was being made in a stainless Ruger M77......Off the shelf factory rifle..........

I fail to understand the passion in most cartridge discussions. A proper purpose configured, and assembled rifle will perform with wide range of cartridges.

If for example Tikka made a T3CTR in a left hand I'd buy it. I wouldn't care if it was 6mm Creedmoor, .260, 6.5CM. 6.5PRS, 6.5-284, 7-08, .284 Winchester, .308 Winchester, or one of Rich's Sherman's.

If for example tactical matches were shot with issued rifles, I don't believe the winner would be decided by which chambering the rifle came with.

The other 90% of us certainly won't find the key to the big leagues in the endless cartridge debates.

Passion and preference is fine, but getting lost in hyperbole yields very little light for the heat generated.

I bet if if was reintroduced in a medium sized action like a Tikka and let's say Nosler or some other company got behind it and pushed it. It would be a better Creedmoor. You could have some gun writers talk about how it has a longer neck than a Creedmoor and that equals accuracy and the fan boys would come running

Tikka has been selling a 6.5 Swede longer than they've been selling the Creedmoor....

I fail to understand the passion in most cartridge discussions. A proper purpose configured, and assembled rifle will perform with wide range of cartridges.

If for example Tikka made a T3CTR in a left hand I'd buy it. I wouldn't care if it was 6mm Creedmoor, .260, 6.5CM. 6.5PRS, 6.5-284, 7-08, .284 Winchester, .308 Winchester, or one of Rich's Sherman's.

If for example tactical matches were shot with issued rifles, I don't believe the winner would be decided by which chambering the rifle came with.

The other 90% of us certainly won't find the key to the big leagues in the endless cartridge debates.

Passion and preference is fine, but getting lost in hyperbole yields very little light for the heat generated.

It might not even be decided by which rifle but more by which shooter

The Creedmore is here in big force and will last because it fits and runs from a short action with decent bullets seated good. I could careless if a chambering is classic or out running it a little like the 6.5x55 if it needs to go in a mid size action to run it's not going to be the flavor of the year, just fact. The Creedmore is plug and play, easy short action performance, the Hornady marketing team didn't have to do much work other than make sure there was ammo available.

Ah yes, the good ole days the old timers talk about. Times were simpler back then.:D

Yeah, I miss walking up hill in 5 feet of snow both to and from school. These youngsters sure are weak...:) None of these new rounds can touch my Sharps 45-120 at 2200 yards shooting running coyotes ;)

Well I just bought one because it was on sale and I thought what the heck for that kind of money how could I go wrong! I took it to the range yesterday and with three different factory loads the little Ruger Predator shoots less than 5/8" groups with all three, and all three print in very close proximity to the bull's-eye. Might be the best $329.00 I ever spent on a rifle and I own a bunch! Last but certainly not least what difference does it make if its the flavor of the month and it goes bye bye. Since when did that ever matter to gun buyers! The **** thing shoots.

This is my take on it, and for a while, it was from the outside, looking in.
Right from the gitgo, the marketing was done right. Meaning, some of the best over the counter factory ammo, I have ever seen, that is reasonable, spelled affordable, that actually shoots where you point it ! In addition, nearly everybody, is making decent rifles in it, including Remington, and just about everybody else.
As I said, earlier, for a while, I was on the outside, looking in, but have became interested enough to buy one for myself. WHY? Mainly because, I hsve always wanted to play the 6.5 game, due to the B.C. of the bullets, but haven't liked the factory offering, or ammo. The 260, twist wasn't right, and the reviews weren't up to par with me. Then, this round became avail, I've became educated on it, and have seen it shoot. And, I've seen it kill deer, as dead as anything I own, without as much fuss, or loss. And, it all fits into a neat little short action. And last but certainly not least, the fsctory ammo avail, is so good, that IF, I so decided to NOT, reload, I could.
Not much thinking needed here boys. It's no goliath unicorn killer,

I referred back to the title of this thread for a moment......And recognized something in myself - and likely other like minded hunters/shooters: Almost NOTHING use today is a "necessity"....But it is about "wants":cool:....
But - just as I would never want to go back to clutching to shift gears, or manually rolling down my window for cool air in my truck....WHY wouldn't we WANT to take advantage of newer technology/better ballistics/refined manufacturing processes?
Look - even with modern muzzle loaders - they are far better at distance, and accuracy than their predecessors....And in a politically charged - growing anti-hunter environment....the use of whatever helps insure that it was a "clean kill" has become part of our defense of the sport. Unfortunate....but true.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.