Reloading 6.5 CM

LOTS OF GREAT info! I am getting a chrono. I have a few hundred Hammer bullets a couple hundred Hornady 143 ELDX ,And I can go to some BLM land nearby and shoot out to well over 1000yards. But here at the house near my shooting bench and and reloading room I can only go to 200yds without worrying about livestock. The 143 ELDX has helped me get elk out to 500 yards several antelope and numerous mule deer,all dropped dead when hit except one mule deer doe on a damage control hunt that was maybe 5 yards, she hopped twice before piling up. I am anxious to try the Hammers but its hard to change when I know what works. I dont understand the haters on the creedmoor at all. If anyone has a good fur friendly load for it I'm very interested.

LOTS OF GREAT info! I am getting a chrono. I have a few hundred Hammer bullets a couple hundred Hornady 143 ELDX ,And I can go to some BLM land nearby and shoot out to well over 1000yards. But here at the house near my shooting bench and and reloading room I can only go to 200yds without worrying about livestock. The 143 ELDX has helped me get elk out to 500 yards several antelope and numerous mule deer,all dropped dead when hit except one mule deer doe on a damage control hunt that was maybe 5 yards, she hopped twice before piling up. I am anxious to try the Hammers but its hard to change when I know what works. I dont understand the haters on the creedmoor at all. If anyone has a good fur friendly load for it I'm very interested.
I am not sure if you have committed to a particular Chrono, but I upgraded to a LabRadar two years ago and couldn't be any happier. I originally plan on getting a Magneto speed but changed my mind. Yes, the LR is pricier, but by the time I get the aftermarket gadgetries so MS does not affect the barrel harmonics, the LR is a much better investment for me. Not to mention, I can easily transition from shooting multiple rifles without a hassle in set-ups.

Why worry about what others think about the CM?

but I upgraded to a LabRadar two years ago and couldn't be any happier
I save a lot of money by using the labradar. The magneto speed didn't work good on all my guns. There was about 1moa change in zero.The optical choronos change moods with conditions. With the labradar I KNOW stuffs right. Then when I shoot long distance there's only a little fine tuning the app to be on.

The less money is from the time and fuel saved. Wish I would have bought one the day they were available. Load development goes way faster.

That said....a man can get by the optical. Im glad I don't have too now.

I save a lot of money by using the labradar. The magneto speed didn't work good on all my guns. There was about 1moa change in zero.The optical choronos change moods with conditions. With the labradar I KNOW stuffs right. Then when I shoot long distance there's only a little fine tuning the app to be on.

The less money is from the time and fuel saved. Wish I would have bought one the day they were available. Load development goes way faster.

That said....a man can get by the optical. Im glad I don't have too now.
Aye Sir! I still have the Shooting Chrony that I have for many for backup, just in case. Even though I streamlined my set-up process, it was still a PITA. But it has served me well throughout the years.

Aye Sir! I still have the Shooting Chrony that I have for many for backup, just in case. Even though I streamlined my set-up process, it was still a PITA. But it has served me well throughout the years.

I too have a Shooting Chrony (Beta Master) and it is a good chronograph. It has served me well for many years. That said, PITA is an understatement at times. Like, if you are on a firing line at a club with others, windy conditions (yes, you can tighten everything down...) clouds, rain, sun, sunset, getting the bullet path height over sensors the same, putting bullets squarely over optical sensors, bullet path over the same spot on both sensors... every time.

Last year, after missing several on the Classifieds here I bought a Magnetospeed Sporter and the dongle thingy to connect to phone. I am keeping the Chrony but the Magnetospeed sporter is a much, much better option IMO. More consistent data, a lot less hassle and gear to haul, and still shoot good groups for load testing (POI off but groups similar) if that is of concern.

I have a Pro Chrony never have an issue with it, unless the sun goes down. I do not have to go to a shooting range, so it is not a PITA to setup, I don't have to wait on a cease fire, takes maybe two minutes, just set your rifle up on your target, then step off 10ft, set it up looking back towards the barrel, go back to the rifle, verify it is shooting through the sky screens and you are good to go. The only time I have problems not registering a shot is when the sun goes down far enough not to cover the sky screens.

After enjoying many good years of service from my Oehler 35P I finally took the plunge and bought a LabRadar unit. No doubt, its costly when you add in the external battery, hard case, inertia trigger and a good stand. I've found the LabRadar to be easy to set up and rather reliable. However, I do get missed readings occasionally for reasons that I can't explain. The only thing I miss is the printed paper readout even though everything is stored digitally. I guess I'm just not a techno-cyber guy yet.

Last edited:
I don't know why you would want to replicate factory ammo in 6.5 creed for the 143eldx unless you are shooting an ar10.

Hornady precision hunter has a 2.800" oal which really limits you in what you can do in the way of velocity and acuracy in a bolt action rifle.

Stretch it out to 2.850 or even 2.875-2.880"
I want to duplicate it because everything I have shot in the last few years has been "bang flop drt" not bragging my gun likes them and I know how they perform, I'm not looking for single hole accuracy, nor extreme range, just lethality in the range I hunt. But I will try and get better than factory !

I want to duplicate it because everything I have shot in the last few years has been "bang flop drt" not bragging my gun likes them and I know how they perform, I'm not looking for single hole accuracy, nor extreme range, just lethality in the range I hunt. But I will try and get better than factory !
If your gun likes them I'd try them at 2.850" you can squeeze alittle more powder in there when you do that too.

Funny thing with the ELDX, ive seen alot of BAD reviews from people who shoot bullets into ballistic gel.... But alot of DRT/bang-flop reviews from people with experience actually shooting them at game, looking forward to using them myself.

If your gun likes them I'd try them at 2.850" you can squeeze alittle more powder in there when you do that too.

Funny thing with the ELDX, ive seen alot of BAD reviews from people who shoot bullets into ballistic gel.... But alot of DRT/bang-flop reviews from people with experience actually shooting them at game, looking forward to using them myself.
I've seen some reports of the 7mm 180 eldm working better under 2600 fps. So that might be why the OP has had good success with the 143 eldx from factory ammo. They advertise 2700 fps mv. If he just bumped the shoulders .001-.002" and did the standard H4350 load that might be all he needs.

I've seen some reports of the 7mm 180 eldm working better under 2600 fps. So that might be why the OP has had good success with the 143 eldx from factory ammo. They advertise 2700 fps mv. If he just bumped the shoulders .001-.002" and did the standard H4350 load that might be all he needs.
True the 147eldm seems to work better for me at 2740ish than 2820 out of 6.5cm

Makes me wonder about a 7-08 using a 180 eldm. If 2600-2700 fps can be had that might make for a fun target/ elk rifle.