6.5 CM build Information

lacajun

So...I took my 700 custom 6BR to the local gun shop this WE with the ideal of leaving it with them to sell on consignment. After being told I would be lucky to get 800 to 1K for it I decided to have it re-barreled in 6.5 CM. I had been doing a lot of research on factory 6.5's but new wouldn't be happy unless said rifle would shoot .5 MOA
We decided on a 22 in. 5R bartlein barrel w/target crown that they said was similar in size to my 700 mil spec barrel.
Cost is going to be around 800 bucks. plus an additional 150 if I decide to get the barrel threaded (includes thread protector)
The rifle will be used for punching holes in deer and paper out to 500 yards.
1) Does this sound like a fair price
2) Is 22 ok on barrel length or should I go 24 really don't want a 26
3) Thread barrel or not ?
4) What is the going rate to have this done in your area...I myself am located on north Louisiana

Thanks,

$800 sounds a little high, $365 for the barrel blank if you got it yourself. So he will charge you $400 to crown, thread and headspace the barrel. I would assume that action is already pretty square but if he trues the action with that it is a pretty good deal.

For comparison, I buy a blank and have it installed for $250. An extra $100 to thread it for a brake but I haven't done that yet. He charged me $250 to square the action face, lug, boltface and recut the threads when I took the factory barrel off.

10-4 I thought it sounded a little high. I would think the action would be good being that I was shooting .5 and under with the 6BR and on good days clover leaf groups. I am in unchartered waters though.
Where are you located and who do you recommend ?

Just be aware that a saami spec reamer for a 6.5 CM has a ton of freebore .199 so I would find out what freebore your getting it chambered with to match what bullet you intend to use.

Also mag box length could be an issue depending on bullet and if you want to get to the lands, so check reamer freebore you won't get to the lands with saami spec and factory mag box.

Of course it has a long freebore. It was built that way to shoot heavy, match type bullets. My .260 has .220 freebore to seat 142 smk's where they should be while still having an appropriate jump. Those will not mag feed by about .090, almost the exact difference in case length between .260 and 6.5 creed. The creedmore case is short which allows you to seat long, maintain case capacity and mag feed.

To put it differently, you aren't loading to the lands with a creedmore. You are loading to mag length to take advantage of the cartridge. If you want to single load there are "better" cartridges out there that will give you more oomph (6.5x55, .260, 6.5x284)

I know several running ptg m5 without issue. I know guys like to crap on pacific tool but I have not had any problems. Used to be able to get them from time to time for less than $100 without a mag. Not sure if that is still the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.