6.5 CM or 260 Rem

If your primers are coming out first check your firing pin and the little hole it comes through. If you have too much clearance there, too much play between the pin and the hole, then the firing pin is pulling your primers out. Pin goes in, primer pops, powder lights, primer flows back into the hole and when the firing pin resets it is pulling the primer out.

Pin protrusion, which can be adjusted on a savage, can also pierce primers. If the pin goes in too far, it makes a hole in the primer. I know that can be an issue when you start making adjustments with a savage.

I sincerely hope you are never testing handloads while we're sharing a range. You may have been reloading for 40 years but you clearly haven't been doing it safely.

Let's start with what you 'know', the maximum pressure limits for the .260 Rem and 6.5 CM. You say 60,191psi for the .260 and 63, 091psi for the 6.5. Wrong. SAAMI specifies 60,000psi for the .260 Rem and 62,000 for the 6.5 CM.

If you are blowing primers there are multiple possibilities including the most likely, headspace issues or excessive pressures. Since you've been doing this for years, I suspect the latter.

But I agree with other, it sounds like you don't know what a blown primer is.
You clearly have know idea what you are doing. I'd done with ya. I got those pressure signs strait from the factory's. All your doing is trying to hype the 6.5 Creedmoor up to make for your poor decision making. Good luck. May God be with you.

If you want more horsepower out of the 6.5 Creed or .260 Rem try the .260 AI. I shoot a 140 SST at 2925 with 48.1 H4831sc, Dogtown (Nosler) .243 brass, and CCI primers with no pressure signs out of a heavy sporter Criterion barrel 26". Load will put 3 shots in 1 hole at 100 yards and hit clay pigeons at 1000. I have brass that have been shot 6 times with no problems.

With the new 156gr Berger that's coming out I would seriously look at the 6.5-300 WBY. That bullet should greatly decrease throat erosion compared to the others under 140gr. and improve its ability on elk size game.

Why ? Still gonna burn a hatful of powder to push 156s out at less velocity than the 140s. Given similar pressures, I don't see how this is going to reduce throat erosion.

Just curious

Sooooo back to the original post where I was asking about 6.5 creedmoor vs 260 Remington.

It seems a lot of people want to suggest something else when I specifically asked about the 6.5 creedmoor and the 260 Remington.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but it seems like you're looking for something that isn't there.

The CM has a slight capacity disadvantage, but handles the longer 140s better in a true SA magazine length. Factory twist is 8" . The 260Rem started out with a slower twist for 120 and 130 grain bullets.

No one seems to mention the reduced case taper wrt smooth feeding, so that's a wash.

Ammo availability and economy goes to the CM.
Reloading with quality brass nullifies that.

Personally, if I had a T3 8" in .260 , I'd be sorely tempted to re-chamber it to a 6.5x280AI-30 ; And Never Look Back

I'm my experience, it's all subjective to components. I like the creed because of the design let's it use longer bullets more efficiently. Both are always close to each other in rifles I have been around. If I was going to build a 260 I would probably use a long action, and I probably would AI it. If I had to choose one of the two in standard form, it's definitely going to be a creed.

How does the CM handle the newer 156s in SA mag length ?

Lots of options open up in the LA, starting with 6.5x55 Improved, 6.5x284, 6.5x280AI.

Not that there is anything wrong with a 260 Improved, but it doesn't have as much latitude for oal once throating is established, due to it's neck length.

Just tried out the 156 EOL Bergers. Will have to go back to range to prove it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190901-172856_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190901-172856_Gallery.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 87
OAL ? Same as 140s ?
Is the ogive near the neck ?

Posting a picture of the loaded round would probably satisfy my curiosity, Ha

Thanks

Have to reload more and the COAL was 2.800 equating to .196 jump for my rifle. So far have only experimented with RL26 and H4350. There are 5 other recommended powders I need to work with.

Have to reload more and the COAL was 2.800 equating to .196 jump for my rifle. So far have only experimented with RL26 and H4350. There are 5 other recommended powders I need to work with.
Here it is. Called Berger and got their list of tested powders start and max.

Attachments

• 20190902_113559.jpg
    20190902_113559.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.