Maybe I don’t hate the 6.5 CM

The only time you notice recoil in the field is if you're in a really bad position and/or it causes a "scope bite".

Most of us who have them earned them proudly, they're trophies!
Unfortunately, some if us have recoil issues that go deeper than a scope eye. I can't shoot a big magnum because my spinal cord rests against the vert at the base of my skull . The creed or similar recoiling rounds don't really bother me much if any. Id be in traction if I pulled the trigger on a hunter weight 300prc type rifle so many on here shoot . I might not feel it on the shot , if shooting a game animal, but before I could get to my downed meat, somebody would be carrying me off the mountain, lol !

The only time you notice recoil in the field is if you're in a really bad position and/or it causes a "scope bite".

Most of us who have them earned them proudly, they're trophies!
I still remember the 700 Remington 8mm magnum I bought right after they came out , now that was a real experience for this ole southern boy who at the time had never fired anything more potent than a 30-06.

That's a STOUT load for a 6.5 Creed. Lol. The Lapua SRP brass no doubt makes that possible. I actually recently picked some up for the very purpose of pushing an 18" 6.5CM to the max w/ 123 SMKs and 130 Sierra Game Changers.
I found varget to be the ticket on short barreled rifles spitting lighter bullets. Had one chopped @ 18" and the best load was 41gr of varget under a 123gr SST

I found varget to be the ticket on short barreled rifles spitting lighter bullets. Had one chopped @ 18" and the best load was 41gr of varget under a 123gr SST
We think alike. I've got a decent stash of Varget and Enduron 4166 for that very reason.

So, I have had a long term aversion to owning a 6.5 creedmoor but decided to give one a try. I trade for an almost new Bergara B14 Ridge. This rifle is well balanced and well put together as I would expect from Bergara. Mounted my Vortex Viper 4-16x44 HS LR and headed to the range after a quick bore sight. Took a few to dial it in but after 20 rounds, I am really overall impressed. Low recoil, tight groups, the trigger is amazing and it was just a pleasure to shoot from the bench. I have been a .308/30-06 fan for my whole life. I may have found my new favorite.

After shooting multiple animals with my 6.5 CM I totally understand the criticism. Why if I had a Sherman Win Mag RUM WSM AI pushing my bullets at 3850 fps I could kill things much better. Take the example below… he would have hit the ground .001 of a second quicker… or I could have shot him in the *** and he would have died anyway. Due to the CM's inadequacy this guys back legs tried to run for cover but his body was stuck to the ground and I don't no where his brain went? Guess I'll just keep saving up for something better. Until then I'll keep working on my shot placement.
Lapua brass
H4350
CCI 450
Barnes 127 LRX (don't think it matters)

90E5655F-E193-4631-89E3-E3BAABC60D34.jpeg

After shooting multiple animals with my 6.5 CM I totally understand the criticism. Why if I had a Sherman Win Mag RUM WSM AI pushing my bullets at 3850 fps I could kill things much better. Take the example below… he would have hit the ground .001 of a second quicker… or I could have shot him in the *** and he would have died anyway. Due to the CM's inadequacy this guys back legs tried to run for cover but his body was stuck to the ground and I don't no where his brain went? Guess I'll just keep saving up for something better. Until then I'll keep working on my shot placement.
Lapua brass
H4350
CCI 450
Barnes 127 LRX (don't think it matters)
How far was the shot?

Pigs were rooting around in grape vineyard rows at 150 yards. Used a bog pod tripod with U attachment standing on an adjacent hill. A friend and I each picked one and then gave the count… 1, 2, 3, shoot.

Do go far with a head shot usually. I hit one with a 30-06 168 grain ballistic silver tips coming straight at me in the snout and it knocked the 250lb boar down, he spun around, got up and ran off. Never found him even though his snout was hanging down from his head as he ran off. They are tough. Looks like the Creed did the trick here though!

I sold one 6.5 this year and now I want 2-3 to replace it. I am kicking myself for not buying the Model Seven 22" 6.5CM's in the HS Precision stocks right before Big Green went BK for a 2nd time. Absolutely love my Kimber 6.5cm for whitetails.

Recent Posts