3 reasons why I like the 6.5 CM

I was a Creedmoor hater for the longest time, well because I am a man.
Folks comparing it to the 308 win. Of course the 140 current technology spanks the 1980s technology of the bullet they compared it to. Compare it to the best in class and it holds it own.

Fast forward after a 338 Sherman flop, I got a Creedmoor prefit off of here and slapped it on that action, dies from @gohring3006. Why did I wait this long...why shoot bigger?

I have various magnums that would probably get the nodd if heading out west to climb mountains and shoot far, but I am in woods of VA and just don't shoot far enough to matter. Slippery bullets go where you want them.

I am far from a Hornady supporter, but they use modern technology to do what works well.
Glad to be of assistance! As I get older, I just want to enjoy shooting. A 11 pound 300 weatherby just wasn't fun to shoot. I sold it and bought my first creed several years ago.
The 6.5 has a wide node, so it's a confidence builder for sure, because of exactly what you said. "Slippery bullets go where you want them, and I'll add, with a slight push on the shoulder.

If your cheap savage axis or mossberg patriot in 6.5 creed doesn't shoot half moa, there's something wrong with it .

I've never owned a 6.5 CM or a Tikka. Both are very popular and I'm sure they are great. I just don't want to join the masses and follow along with the fan boys. If I want to shoot either, I can ask every other person at the range to let me give it poke. Dare to be different.

My 12 year old grandson "abscounded" with, my awesome shooting, 243 Win, T-3 Tikka so,..
I thought about WHAT to, replace it with, for about, 5 Minutes and decided that, I NEEDED "More",.. Speed, Bullet, Range, BC and, "Thump" power, so went, 6.5 Creedmoor and am,.. VERY Happy with, my Choice of, a New 6.5 Creed, 24", SS, Tikka as an, "All around" Deer, Antelope and Steel Target Practice Rifle, to avoid, burning Out, my .270 WSM Barrel.
He's already, Eyeballing the Creedmoor for, a close Range,.. Elk Rifle,.. YIKES !

Last edited:
You guys do realize that Army Ranger snipers use 6.5 Creeds, right? Among other things.

And the best WW II sniper rifle by far was the Swedish Mauser 41B in 6.5x55, essentially the same ballistics and bullets.

And the 6.5x55 is still well used for plains game in Africa.

And I don't even have a Creed. Wouldn't mind the capability to have a man bun even though I wouldn't do it.

Well, the Army also went to the 5.56mm in 55gr and then 9mm handgun, so that negates what the Army does as a legit authority - Ha!

Seriously, the 6.5CM does have better ballistics and is a little easier to shoot than the old 7.62 loads for its sniping purposes, but humans tend to be quicker/easier to incapacitate than some wild game animals at distance. Though I do not want to be shot by either round at any distance.

Personally, I tend to find positive and useful things in most cartridges within their useful realm, but I just haven't warmed to the 6.5CM in a hunting round yet. I have too many calibers/cartridges that perform better than the CM cases (260AI, 6Rem and AI, 243AI, etc), but the 22CM is nearly identical to my 22/250AI's. So much so, I have used its brass to fire-form into 22/250AI's.

As I age more, maybe one day I will reconsider the 6.5CM, but that will be due to no longer being the man I once was. :cool:

Last edited:
I honestly hope Ruger will chamber a needmore in their new SFAR, it would be an awesome long range wolf rifle, might have to retire the Grendel to just yotes!

Before buying a CM, I owned a number of 6.5s, including 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5-06 (wildcat) and 264 Win Mag, I eventually got bored with them and sold them all, figuring my 270 would do anything a 6.5 would do. I eventually came back around when the CM hype peaked and thought I'd give the CM a try in a Christensen Arms Ridgeline. I liked the rifle and round but decided it was not for me and sold it, moving on to other things. I did a DIY build (really assembly of parts) with a Tenacity/Proof pre-fit/McMillan in 308, like it so much I decided to do another.

The CM gets a lot of press, some good, some not so good but it's really a great little cartridge. I "assembled" the one on the photo for three reasons (maybe more).

1) easy and fun to shoot, not too much recoil if you intend to shoot it a lot
2) ammo is readily available and affordable, at least compared to other chamberings
3) it's entirely capable for deer sized big game (I know others use it for elk but I don't live in elk country and I have other chamberings for that)

I have been a 6.5 guy way before they where cool over 20years closer to 30. When the kids started they use a 243 . I was going to go 260. That is when the 6.5 creedmoor came out . But because I seen all the popularity of this cartridge I know he's going to be way easier to get reloading components like the brass for the new cartridge. I think it is a great medium range antelope deer cartridge especially for people that don't care for heavy recoil. I'd rather have something that I can have the kids or the girlfriend take the range and shoot 20-25 rounds through it then going and shooting three rounds through it and I've had enough for the day I'm still aren't hitting that good because they're flinching.

I think a lot of this is more dependent on barrel than anything else. I'm sure the cartridge design does help. But much of that can be adjusted by load development and possibly action mods for COAL. But how many times do we see people talking about a fast or slow barrel. I had a 243 Win which some said was a finicky round to load for. It was an easy rifle for me to get accurate loads. An old Interarms Mauser with a pencil thin barrel. It had no business shooting so well lol.
I believe you are correct pointing to the barrel. Everyone I talk to say both 6 and 6.5 are easy buttons to load.

Recent Posts