3 reasons why I like the 6.5 CM

Round2it

I only have one 6.5 CM and that's in a Savage LRP.
Reason #1: With Hornady 140 ELDMs it consistently groups between 2.25"-2.5" at 587 yards.

Reason #2: My Bergara HMR PRO 6 CM groups on the .2s @ 100 yards with Hornady 108gr ELDMs at 2990-3000 fps @ 450 ft elevation.

Reason #3: My 22 CM with 80gr ELDMs with the first load I've tried is grouping .750" ish at 287 yards.

Nothing the matter with the 6.5 CM but because it's on a Target action I've decided to re-barrel it to a 284 win. I plan on sigle feeding as this will be my dedicated 1200 yard+ rig for ringing steel. Once completed I'll figure out where it hits 1300 fps ish and then start to figure out BC changes and get to a mile. I know I can just calculate for the 1740 yards but with what is hopefully a very precise rig I want to try to understand, from my own experience, what happens at and after trans sonic flight with a particular bullet. I know it's been extensively written about and I'll use some of that knowledge but I want to discover for myself and then see how other calibers and bullet combinations react. It's science so it's not just having fun and burning 100 bills! Right?...

Pic is the 22 CM looking for coyotes.

Attachments

• 20221112_081909.jpg
    20221112_081909.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
If you only have 3 reasons why you like a 6.5 creedmore (you only listed 1) then you "needmore" reasons😅 I don't care for them at all, but they do have a place and if they bring more shooters and hunters into the fold, then I'm all for it. If you want to "get" to a mile, at 1740yds, you are missing a mile by 60ft aka the other 20yds - 1 mile = 1760yds

I'll put in my 2c before everyone pulls out a seat and starts heating the popcorn! I'm a CM fan for only one reason! I'd shot out a CZ550 in 6.5x55. Looking to rebarrel when the CM was taking off. Looked at the ballistics and they were almost a mirror to each other. Lots of cm reloading components and rifles. Near zero for the Swead. I switched. Its a really good mid range hunting cartridge. Exactly what I was looking for.

You guys do realize that Army Ranger snipers use 6.5 Creeds, right? Among other things.

And the best WW II sniper rifle by far was the Swedish Mauser 41B in 6.5x55, essentially the same ballistics and bullets.

And the 6.5x55 is still well used for plains game in Africa.

And I don't even have a Creed. Wouldn't mind the capability to have a man bun even though I wouldn't do it.

If you only have 3 reasons why you like a 6.5 creedmore (you only listed 1) then you "needmore" reasons😅 I don't care for them at all, but they do have a place and if they bring more shooters and hunters into the fold, then I'm all for it. If you want to "get" to a mile, at 1740yds, you are missing a mile by 60ft aka the other 20yds - 1 mile = 1760yds
Oopps. Thx for the correction.

I feel like all 3 are valid for 6.5 CM because without it I wouldn't have the other 2. Yes it's a donner cartridge but without it I would no CM. Not a bad thing but I do enjoy readily available components.

I'll put in my 2c before everyone pulls out a seat and starts heating the popcorn! I'm a CM fan for only one reason! I'd shot out a CZ550 in 6.5x55. Looking to rebarrel when the CM was taking off. Looked at the ballistics and they were almost a mirror to each other. Lots of cm reloading components and rifles. Near zero for the Swead. I switched. Its a really good mid range hunting cartridge. Exactly what I was looking for.
Well said in regards to the Swede has been doing what the copy sucksmoor does for 125 years. One did not have the internet and one did. 😂😂😂😂😂😂 I'm in for the humor with this one as the laughs just keep rolling.

I only have one 6.5 CM and that's in a Savage LRP.
Reason #1: With Hornady 140 ELDMs it consistently groups between 2.25"-2.5" at 587 yards.

Reason #2: My Bergara HMR PRO 6 CM groups on the .2s @ 100 yards with Hornady 108gr ELDMs at 2990-3000 fps @ 450 ft elevation.

Reason #3: My 22 CM with 80gr ELDMs with the first load I've tried is grouping .750" ish at 287 yards.

Nothing the matter with the 6.5 CM but because it's on a Target action I've decided to re-barrel it to a 284 win. I plan on sigle feeding as this will be my dedicated 1200 yard+ rig for ringing steel. Once completed I'll figure out where it hits 1300 fps ish and then start to figure out BC changes and get to a mile. I know I can just calculate for the 1740 yards but with what is hopefully a very precise rig I want to try to understand, from my own experience, what happens at and after trans sonic flight with a particular bullet. I know it's been extensively written about and I'll use some of that knowledge but I want to discover for myself and then see how other calibers and bullet combinations react. It's science so it's not just having fun and burning 100 bills! Right?...

Pic is the 22 CM looking for coyotes.
Too much common sense....

I like them because when I shoot stuff, it dies. Oh I also practice a lot because recoil is nil and ammo is plentiful. I also don't get emotional about inanimate objects.

But it's not cool enough for the magnum crowd.....vaunted elk shoulders and all.....

The only issue I have with the Creedmoors was people telling me how it was sooooo superior to many rounds out there. It's basically the ballistics of the 6.5 Swede or 260 Rem, both of which are great rounds. So other than some being an occasional nuisance they are fine cartridges. If I was losing hair I'd get one. ;)

People tend to reject Hornady's cartridges until they see the capabilities of the design. Some say the 300 PRC is just the win mag with no belt. Well it ain't, its spec's are improved for long bullets and Sammi twist rate is also designed for long range bullets. The 6.5 creed is an improved cartridge everything about it is long range target.
If you spec out your win mag to match the 300 prc you essentially have a 300 win mag improved. Might as well get the 300 prc.
Hornady is on the cutting edge of cartridge design. The old timers won't accept it. Dinosaurs couldn't adapt to change either.
Not just an opinion, Hornady cartridges prove themselves over and over.

Last edited:
Well said in regards to the Swede has been doing what the copy sucksmoor does for 125 years. One did not have the internet and one did. 😂😂😂😂😂😂 I'm in for the humor with this one as the laughs just keep rolling.
You are absolutely correct about the 6.5 Sweed. The nice thing about most all these "new" cartridges is that the factory options are now making it possible for you to shoot long for caliber bullets. With faster twist rates tighter chambers, perhaps better metallurgy and all around tighter tolerances, we now have almost every rifle out there able to produce more precision than most of us 'drivers' can take advantage of. Ballisticly they duplicate many great, all but dead cartridges, of the past - as has been noted with the Sweed but they offer the ability to take advantage of much better bullets for reasons noted above. Take the 284 win for example. If the 6.5x284 hadn't come along I doubt any manufacturer would even be making it any more. Not because it's not a great cartridge but because they're produced to make profits and when marketing and proper support, ie proper bullets for example, fails, the cartridge fails. 280 & 260 Remington for example.
Thank goodness for Wildcaters and bullet makers who are pushing the boundaries.

6.5 Swedish Mauser came with 1-7.87" twist and had great metallurgy over one hundred years ago. And I would say the 280 rem and 260 rem were failures due to the ammo division and rifle division of Remington not working well with each other. Same was true about the SAUM's.