Was the 6.5 cm really a necessity?

So your saying it isn't capable of doing so? Just because no one isn't shooting one doesn't mean it's not capable. I know there are several European f class guys running the Swede more so than the 6.5 Creedmoor. Some food for thought F class is more about accuracy than banging plates of steel like the PRS series.The 243 isn't going anywhere sorry.
No, it's capable. But do you see guys buying/building rifles chambered in it? Nope. There are better designs for it.

No, it's capable. But do you see guys buying/building rifles chambered in it? Nope. There are better designs for it.
I bet if if was reintroduced in a medium sized action like a Tikka and let's say Nosler or some other company got behind it and pushed it. It would be a better Creedmoor. You could have some gun writers talk about how it has a longer neck than a Creedmoor and that equals accuracy and the fan boys would come running

There are narrow minded fan boys with several cartridges.
I shoot a Creed
30-06
338 Lapua
300 Win mag
7mag
300 wby.
Soon to be others. (Real soon)
And I think each and every one of them are the best cartridge ever developed!!

supporter out!!!

LOL! Love it! And if they are like me and thousands of others worldwide, a 6.5x55 SE in the house.
Yeah I've been a big fan of the 6.5x55 for years. My buddy has a old husqvarna Mauser rifle that is accurate as hell. I've seen him shoot half inch 3 shot at 100 yards groups with it. Btw it's a open sight rifle. He has also made hits on 8 inch plates of steel at 500 yards with this same rifle. He can shoot that thing better than most guys can shoot scoped rifles

I have a Carl Gustav M96 made in 1910. With 120 SMK and H4895 it will shoot sub MOA at 100. I have a few "screamer" groups with that combo. Have built three 6.5 Creeds and two Swede's on Savage actions over the past five years....the Creed's are fun to shoot and are accurate but do not do anything better than the Swede.

Since it Christmas I'm starting to feel like the 6.5cm is like Santa Claus. Ppl buy it then are disappointed because a smaller cartridge with less powder doesn't do anything the larger 6.5 cartridges do...Santa's not real either. Do we need fifty pages of arguing about it?

Last edited:
At this moment in time 6.5 creedmore is crushing everything in sales at big box stores by a wide margin. Question is how long will that last? I think it will continue simply because its so accurate and easy on recoil, has bullets that will take take anything hovened footed in North America.
As someone who's worked in the industry before, and seen "booms" happen, I can tell you exactly how long it will last...Until the next "best" thing comes out. Then sales will plummet.

My guess, based on how well Hornady's marketing team is, and how successfully they whored-out the 6.5 CM....The new 6.5 PRC will be the next trend.

Last edited:
The problem with the Swede is the fact that it is 120 years old.

Most shooters/hunters buy factory ammo. Factory Swede loads are only loaded to about 2550 ~ 2600 FPS. Because ammo makers are concerned that a shooter may put the ammo in a old Swede mauser action or something that was not designed to handle pressures of modern cartridges.

So for the factory ammo guy - Would you buy a long action 140 Gr. 6.5 cartridge that did 2600 FPS or a short action cartridge that did 2700 FPS plus?

Even reloading manuals develop loads for the Swede at the lower pressures. If you look at the manuals the Swede is 100 FPS or so slower load than a Creed.

Sure, if you are a more advanced hand loader and F-class shooter things are different, but for the majority of shooters the Swede is an underperformer these days.

As someone who's worked in the industry before, and seen "booms" happen, I can tell you exactly how long it will last...Until the next "best" thing comes out. Then sales will plummet.

My guess, based on how well Hornady's marketing team is, and how successfully they whored-out the 6.5 CM....The new 6.5 PRC will be the next trend.

I might disagree with you on this one.
Even with a superb marketing campaign I think the prc won't catch up very well. If you look at the trend in competition calibers, most shooter started using 6.5mm based calibers and have migrated to 6mm because of the lighter recoil.
The PRC migh be a nice hunting caliber, but I think hunters are generally closed minded and prefer their old 30-06, 270win, 300 win mags because the've served them well instead of buying the latest novelty that who knows if it'll last.
I had a 6.5 GAP built for hunting purposes and it is a nice round, but it needs 50% more powder than my Creedmoor and only gives me extra 100fps before you start seeing pressure signs, and even with a break you can notice the recoil difference. I won't get rid of it, I do like it, I just wouldn't take it to a match.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.