Was the 6.5 cm really a necessity?

Better check the ballistics on the 6Creedmoor before buying into the 6.5 craze. The 6.5 is slightly better in wind drift at 1000 but other tan that the 6mm kicks it's butt with less recoil and better barrel life

Better check the ballistics on the 6Creedmoor before buying into the 6.5 craze. The 6.5 is slightly better in wind drift at 1000 but other tan that the 6mm kicks it's butt with less recoil and better barrel life
Recoil, yes....not so sure about barrel life..My buddy just replaced his 6CM at 800 rounds.

Uh no a 6mm will not have better barrel life than a 6.5mm. Not that I care about barrel life, but that's simply not true. Pushing the same amount of powder behind a smaller bullet and a smaller bore will wear out the barrel faster.

I enjoy my .30-06 and the .308s I have few years back wish I could have snagged a savage 116 in heavy barrel .308 but wife said not happening. I looked for a .260 when I was looking for ruffles for my daughters they are pain to find of course wasnt looking at buying new but even on used market for .260 is hard to find either they do not exist readily or shooters are keeping them. Sounds to me like the .260 as was mentioned before is for handloading in a AI configuration or just shoot what you got and neck down .308. Did find a 6.5cm AR that caught my eye but Wallet yelled at me and said no. :(

I hear what you all are saying. It makes sense. I test bullets for a living, shoot between 100k-130k bullets a year and i assure you the 6 will outlast the 6.5. The longer bearing surface means more rifling contact not to mention added pressure. Buy the 6.5 if you want up to you guys. I'm only letting everyone know the facts that I see on a daily basis

What about a 7mm Creedmoor with a Berger 180 Hybrid seated to 2.910" OAL... I'd actually shoot this one. Made this wildcat a while back from a piece of 6.5CM brass I picked up at random. With a custom cut reamer, and a Wyatt's 3.01" extended mag box for a SA 700, you could seat to the lands and still have plenty of room to feed it as a repeater.

7mm CM 180 Hybrid.jpg

I hear what you all are saying. It makes sense. I test bullets for a living, shoot between 100k-130k bullets a year and i assure you the 6 will outlast the 6.5. The longer bearing surface means more rifling contact not to mention added pressure. Buy the 6.5 if you want up to you guys. I'm only letting everyone know the facts that I see on a daily basis
So you shoot almost 400 rounds a day, every day of the year, rain or shine, holiday or workday, weekend, etc...?

I also have a hard time believing that a 6mm will outlast a 6.5mm, based the concentration of a hotter flame inside a .5mm smaller more... Physics says it's impossible, unless the 6.5mm has more powder than the 6mm's case you're comparing it to.

What kind of barrel life are you seeing out of the 6 Creed?

Last edited:
So you shoot almost 400 rounds a day, every day of the year, rain or shine, holiday or workday, weekend, etc...?

I also have a hard time believing that a 6mm will outlast a 6.5mm, based the concentration of a hotter flame inside a .5mm smaller more... Physics says it's impossible, unless the 6.5mm has more powder than the 6mm's case you're comparing it to.

Just giving you the facts. And yes I shoot that much. Work for Sierra Bullets in the range with 2 other shooters and we shoot over 300k a year. Call our 800 room for more info

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.