Votes: 27 9.6%
  • 6.5mm/.264

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • 7mm/.284

Votes: 74 26.3%
  • 30 cal.

Votes: 78 27.8%

• Total voters
For up to 300 yd. 6.5 Grendel. 21 deer 21 shots. None went 100 yds. after being hit. Accurate enough for precise shot placement (actually it is surgical). No running shots. Hornady 129 gr. SST

I love my 25-06. Nothing inside of 400 yards in Texas I can't kill. I've killed most anything in Texas with it.25 years and never lost a deer. Remington model 700 Sendero 26 inch barrel. Just not a gun I like to tote all day. 11 lbs with Swarvoski Z6 scope.

I have been blessed to take many deer with .30 Caliber firearms. However, the most exciting lately were taken with a 6.8 spc and 458 Socom. All of them were one shot stops.

Last edited:
I love my 25-06. Nothing inside of 400 yards in Texas I can't kill. I've killed most anything in Texas with it.25 years and never lost a deer. Remington model 700 Sendero 26 inch barrel. Just not a gun I like to tote all day. 11 lbs with Swarvoski Z6 scope.
I must admit, I have a very soft spot for a 25.06. They are deer hammers, and quite a few have dropped in front of my crosshairs with it. No tracking either. When she cracks, something drops, that simple. And with your 26 barrel, its badass.

I must admit, I have a very soft spot for a 25.06. They are deer hammers, and quite a few have dropped in front of my crosshairs with it. No tracking either. When she cracks, something drops, that simple. And with your 26 barrel, its badass.
You should try a .25-06 AI with the 26" barrel... It's within 75 FPS of a 26" .257 Weatherby, using about 10-15 grains less powder, and MUCH cheaper brass (.270 Win). Better barrel life, less muzzle blast, & less recoil, too. ;)

I've killed a lot of deer with a 30-06, some of my biggest ones with a 270, some with a 7-08, and even a few with a 45-70

2506...got me curious....why are you more apt to carry that rifle...is it because most 2506 are built lighter in weight than other calibers...
My reason for buying the mountain rifle used 20 or so years ago was for the 6.5-20×40 leupold....rifle was just a bonus....

Used 25-06 for many years on deer, mostly mule deer. Close and far, 22" barrel, easy to carry all day, pleasure to shoot, tack driver. Flat shooting, I like Sierra game Kings, and Nosler Accubonds..both perform well for me for many years, deer, conditions.

My go-to gun for many years has been a Remington Model Seven in .308. It has taken far more whitetail than any other firearm I own. The Model Seven is just about perfect for the hardwoods of PA and NY. So I voted .30 caliber.

If I were starting out today, though, I would no doubt opt for a 6.5/.264. I've been shooting my .260 Remingtons a lot more than my .308s recently.

6.5 with good 140ish/high BC bullet is one of the best all-around options available for deer. Low recoil to long distance terminal performance ratio make it a compelling option in multiple cartridges. I grew up with a 270 Win and still use 270 WSM a lot but give the advantage to 6.5, now.

.280 AI is a great one! IMO, one of the best all-around hunting cartridges for North American game.
High fives for the 280 AI. I always take my 25-06 on deer hunts, each back each other up 4 deer hunts. Both are hammers, dead right there from very accurate loads/bullet choices. 280AI is more than necessary for deer with 140 gr bullet but it is wonderful back up to the 25-06..the nosler accubond in 25-06 is my first choice, traveling 3125 fps mv. About .50 cent piece exit hole on opposite side deer at 200 yds is normal. Accubonds usually exit, depending on range. Sierra pro hunters usually under hide on far side at 300 yds. Both perform well 4 me 4 many years. 95 % of my whitetail shots are less than 200 yds. Just the opposite on mule deer. Shot placement rules over caliber almost always imho.

Couch11,
Sorry can't vote because you did not include IMO the best deer caliber ever, the 270! Jack O rolled over in his grave when he read this thread

I have shot literally dozens of white tails and been on the scene of hundreds of other kills.

I own and load for 43 calibers and have killed deer with all the calibers listed but for me, 270 is the king. Witha 130 TSX it is lethal
In western Canada where I hunt, the W/T are a little bigger than S and E USA, we always have a chance to come across elk so we tend to take a caliber that will be adequate for that. If specifically hunting elk, I take a 338 WM and have no problem if we flush out a W/T

The beauty of it sport is that we have developed such a wide range of options that we can pick a cartridge that is idea for the terrain in your area, game size, expected different size/weight in our region. And today we can pick from dozens of premium bullets that make so many cartridges seem to perform on game beyond what they show on paper ballistics. When I started hunting 45+ years ago the only premium bullet available was the Partition. Bullet choice is second only to the ability to place your shot properly.

Shoot them all and let us hear about your successes!

Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.