Favorite caliber for Long range shooting?

I shot a long range Competition last fall , nothing more that a 30 caliber was allowed. I scoped a Ruger RPR 6.5 creedmore that was put away . Did some load work with 135 gr bergers but I wasnt happy . I good friend told me to try the Hornady 140 gr eldms . It all come together after that .
I cant begin to tell you how much fun I had ! Whoop ..Whoop!
I was hitting steel out to 1054 yards !

I just set up a Mossberg 6.5 Predator for my Sister in law . I'm getting my Brother involved in long range. They both are now banging the steel at 600 yards !
Looks like we are going to trim more trees out of the way to get to 900 yards !

I'm a true big caliber and heavy bullet guy my favorites are the 300 Rum , 338 Rum and when I'm looking to shoot ELR ... the 338 Edge & 300 gr bergers is the One for Me !

You better start with the 6.5 creedmore but be ready to go larger !
Good luck in your choice !

Rum Man

I shot a long range Competition last fall , nothing more that a 30 caliber was allowed. I scoped a Ruger RPR 6.5 creedmore that was put away . Did some load work with 135 gr bergers but I wasnt happy . I good friend told me to try the Hornady 140 gr eldms . It all come together after that .
I cant begin to tell you how much fun I had ! Whoop ..Whoop!
I was hitting steel out to 1054 yards !

I just set up a Mossberg 6.5 Predator for my Sister in law . I'm getting my Brother involved in long range. They both are now banging the steel at 600 yards !
Looks like we are going to trim more trees out of the way to get to 900 yards !

I'm a true big caliber and heavy bullet guy my favorites are the 300 Rum , 338 Rum and when I'm looking to shoot ELR ... the 338 Edge & 300 gr bergers is the One for Me !

You better start with the 6.5 creedmore but be ready to go larger !
Good luck in your choice !

Rum Man
Did you shoot at MTC?
I took all of the LR classes there, loved them all!
Great instructors, great place to shoot.

Yes I did !
What a great Place to shoot ! I had a Amazing time !
I shot the September Guardian Match.
I learned so much from the Guys there !
I was right in the middle of the pack for a finnish ! Happy Days !

Rum Man
When you mentioned a 1054 yd target I thought of them immediately. I'm from the Grand Rapids area, I have been quite busy at work this past year so I have not gotten up to MTC recently. I really miss it, and hope to spend some time up there this Summer.

For a Long Range course, OP at what distance is the course's max distance? If you want to get the most out of the course, that is going to play the "Wind game." Pick a great round to learn how the wind is the biggest factor to long range shooting. Calling wind calls is the hardest to learn because of all the variables and constant changes.

If you are to do a basic Long Range Class where there are targets out to 1,000 or even 1,200. I'd go with a 6.5 Grendel, .223, 6.5 Creed, .308...

No need to blast a .338 at those close ranges, you can learn with the basic rounds listed above. It's about learning and getting the most out of the class.

but if you are talking past 1,000 I like my .338 NM AI and or my 6.5 SAUM. Warbird is fun, but too expensive to shoot consistently

Just put together a Howa 1500 in .308 in an MDT Oryx chassis with an Arken sh 4 5-25 . .308 for the barrel life and cheap and easy to reload . 20 moa rail , hoping to stretch it out to 1000 plus yards in Texas in a few weeks. All in price is about $1600.
Did you purchase the Howa as a barreled action and are you liking the accuracy of the build?

I lived in East Africa for several years in the early seventies, and did my first safaris with a 7 mm Rem. magnum. i had hunted with it in California and knew it would reach out and knock things down, so was happy with it until i began to shoot Cape Buffalo.

For that i was fortunate to find a pre-64 model 70 in .375 H&H that was in pretty good shape, and discovered that it was a very good long range rifle.

In the past 15 years i have had 4 shoulder replacements and find magnums uncomfortable. I have picked up 2 Howa actions now -- a 1500 in 6.5 Creedmor and a mini in .223.I think i'll retire the larger calibers. Age catches up with us.