Favorite Caliber

alloutsmith3

Whats your favorite caliber of all time and why. Mine is .308 mainly because its the very first caliber I used to kill my first whitetail buck. Not to mention its easy to shoot, easy to find and is relatively cheap.

As of right now it is the 25-06. Fast, flat, accurate with little to no descerniable recoil. Great for everything from coyote thru deer, bear size game and even works wonders on hard to kill hogs. Will take deer sized game to 600-700 yds and coyotes and such a might further. I will probably move to 300 Win Mag or 300 Rum to move up to larger game or step out a little further when I'm ready but for around here and my general hunting I'll probably still carry my 25-06 more than any other rifle. I've carried it for 15 years now and have never felt under gunned. Brad

My favorite all-around caliber would be would be the. 280 Remington. If I could only own one rifle for all my hunting, that would be it.

It may sound funny on a long range sight, but my hands down favorite is the .30-30 Winchester, I killed my first deer with it 40 years ago or so and it outnumbers any other chambering in the safe 3 to 1.

My favorite cartridge is my 7mm STW. Kinda modeled it after John Burns and his shooting systems when he was the host of The Best of The West back years ago.

The .300 H&H just "feels" good to me. A rifle I might not think about otherwise becomes more interesting if it's chambered .300 H&H.

I've been thinking on this since you first posted the thread. I have too many favorites depending on the specific application.

In the end though, even though I don't currently own one I came up with the 7mm Remington Magnum.

It's simply the most versatile caliber out there for everything from prairie dogs to Elk and Moose, and very cost effective to shoot.

Tolerable recoil in a light rifle, capable of .25 MOA accuracy, flat shooting/high velocity, with a great selection of bullets for everything from small varmints to all but the biggest and most dangerous game.

My most favorite is the 30-06. Bought a model 70 in 1963 and rebuilt it for the 3rd time last winter. Just the perfect hunting rifle. The 300 WM is my second favorite.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts