My favorite caliber

What’s your favorite caliber?

• .30 caliber

Votes: 116 70.7%
  • .27 caliber

Votes: 48 29.3%

• Total voters
Day in day out for N. American big game I'll take my 300 WM! It's been a solid performer for years and will continue...
I like all 30 caliber guns but with the 300 win mag. you can duplicate I believe all of the 30's with the right bullet and speed ! The 30 carbine and the 30-30, 300 savage, 308, 30-40 craig, 30-06 and others ! The 300 Winchester Magnum I believe can kill about anything there is on the planet ! However I would use a bigger hammer for some of the larger and more dangerous game should I ever desire to kill any of them !

No, I'd say 7mm has a much broader selection of weights available. Every bullet may be available in 270 but they are just about all between 130 and 150.

There are more heavier (150+) bullet offerings in .27 cal nowadays than it used to:

Hammer Bullets: 156/168
Berger: 170
Matrix: 165/175
Woodleigh: 160/180

Choosing a caliber for an all around hunting rifle can be daunting for a new or even experienced hunter. After owning several .30 caliber magnums and not liking the weight of these guns, I finally settled on the .270 wsm. My daughter and I both have them and I have found that this caliber has all the qualities i could want in a deer and elk killer. My kid loves hers
I have a buddy that has kill a brazillion elk with his .270...my father in law also loves that gun...I bought him a buffalo shoot one year, he came down with that gun. I asked him if he wanted to use my 7 mag he said no....so he shot that buffalo and the thing took three steps and just died...great gun

There are more heavier (150+) bullet offerings in .27 cal nowadays than it used to:

yeah....well wait until the creedmore comes in 170 grain....it will put the minute man to shame...

my favorite caliber is the .284....in any cartridge....280 ackley,or not....maybe just the lowely little 280....I love the 7mm08.....love the 7 mag.....stw….now if they would only make the 7mm creedmore….WHY IS THERE NO 7MM CREEDMORE?

I thought I'd add the 160gn Nosler Partition, semi spitzer.
I wish they could produce a boat-tailed partition.

I enjoy a 270 win. I think Jack O Connor was a great author and was way ahead of his time with his knowledge and thoughts. My 300 win is like a big block Chevy motor compared to a small block(270). Where I live I hunt elk to fill my freezer, not to hang one on my wall. 300 win wins my vote out of the two.:)

my favorite caliber is the .284....in any cartridge....280 ackley,or not....maybe just the lowely little 280....I love the 7mm08.....love the 7 mag.....stw….now if they would only make the 7mm creedmore….WHY IS THERE NO 7MM CREEDMORE?
I got bored and made one a while back from a single piece of 6.5CM brass I found at work...

Not gonna lie, given the option today, if I were to compare a 7mm-08 Rem to a 7mm CM with a 40º shoulder and only 0.010" wall taper (think 7mm CM AI), and using it on a short-action, given that Lapua makes 6.5CM brass, and necking-up brass is super easy, I would probably build the 7mm CM 40º over the 7mm-08. Performance would be nearly identical. If I were going full wildcat or on a long action, I would go 7mm-08 AI for another 100-150 FPS.

180 Hybrid.

7mmCM.jpeg

Deer and elk hunting. My daughter and I both have em. Mine is a model 700 sps. Hers is a model 700 laminate, beautiful gun but heavy in comparison to mine. I've offered to put a synthetic stock on hers but she's not having it. When she finally gets around to squeezing off it's dead animal. My goal is find a load that will shoot under a 1/2". Right now both are shooting just under an inch. I think I can do better
Can't blame her, I love the laminates myself.

With some creative drilling you can lighten one up a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.