My favorite caliber

What’s your favorite caliber?

• .30 caliber

Votes: 116 70.7%
  • .27 caliber

Votes: 48 29.3%

• Total voters
i have 3 rifles cut down from over 30 at one point in my life. .243, 270 wsm, and .338 Lapua Magnum. This covers anything on the planet to hunt IMO.
I love all my rifles and various cartridges they are chambered for BUT I'm pretty sure the 28 Nosler could fill that order easily.

N
If I were to guess which way you mean, I'd guess more selection for .270? If so, I'd agree. I meant roughly equal in selection, purely from seeing more offerings across the table. I love it all in this class of .277 - .284.
Not even close. The .284 caliber offers many more options.

N

Not even close. The .284 caliber offers many more options.

Yes, if you read my follow up post, I agreed.

Don't missed the ballistic comparison part, though. A 270WSM delivers the energy from a 150gn bullet that is only matched by much larger cased 7mm magnums, as a fact.

Yes, if you read my follow up post, I agreed.

Don't missed the ballistic comparison part, though. A 270WSM delivers the energy from a 150gn bullet that is only matched by much larger cased 7mm magnums, as a fact.
I'm a huge fan of both 270 cartridges as I own them and use them on game quite often. I can also buy the fact that the 270 WSM being a magnum does outrun all the other.284 cartridges shy of the 7 mm Magnum. I would however bet that the 284 Winchester with a 162 grain bullet comes real close on the heels of that 270 WSM with 150s. And that would be using the Nosler long range accubond 150 in the WSM vs the 162 Eld m. Again I'm a big fan of the 270s but you just can't beat facts. The higher BC 7 mm bullets simply beat of 277 bullets. I'll go out on a limb and say the 284 Winchester versus the 270 WSM is within 80 foot-pounds of energy. I'm guessing velocities are quite a bit different. Probably 200 to 300 fps different. I'm using an 800 yard range for these numbers. No reason to check the magnum at close ranges since Magnums are better designed for longer ranges and larger game. In this case the 270 WSM I'm guessing advantage being longer-ranges.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of both 270 cartridges as I own them and use them on game quite often. I can also buy the fact that the 270 WSM being a magnum does outrun all the other.284 cartridges shy of the 7 mm Magnum. I would however bet that the 284 Winchester with a 162 grain bullet comes real close on the heels of that 270 WSM with 150s. And that would be using the Nosler long range accubond 150 in the WSM vs the 162 Eld m. Again I'm a big fan of the 270s but you just can't beat facts. The higher BC 7 mm bullets simply beat of 277 bullets. I'll go out on a limb and say the 284 Winchester versus the 270 WSM is within 80 foot-pounds of energy. I'm guessing velocities are quite a bit different. Probably 200 to 300 fps different. I'm using an 800 yard range for these numbers. No reason to check the magnum at close ranges since Magnums are better designed for longer ranges and larger game. In this case the 270 WSM I'm guessing advantage being longer-ranges.
I think a 7 WSM vs. 270 WSM is a much better comparison. Frankly there's no comparison once again the 7 mm takes it.

I completely agree. Your numbers are about right also but the 270WSM beats the 284Win by about that 200-300fps at muzzle. I believe that would translate into a bit higher energy difference. Certainly not enough to diss any, in this 277 - 284 class of calibers.

30s are hard to beat as far as their all out versatility. I will say since I got my 280 ai that I have started to really have a new appreciation for some of the 7s. I never really have gotten too excited about 270s. My wife has a 270 win and as expected it always works. If I had to choose between something like the 270 or a 30-06 I would probably opt for the 06 just for the option to fire bullets with nearly a range of 100grs from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Last edited:
I completely agree. Your numbers are about right also but the 270WSM beats the 284Win by about that 200-300fps at muzzle. I believe that would translate into a bit higher energy difference. Certainly not enough to diss any, in this 277 - 284 class of calibers.
It's just tough comparing apples to oranges. The 270 is my favorite deer caliber out to about 350-400 yds. The 130 grain bullet never exits I always find it on the opposite side of the body under the hide. The deer gets all the energy and I've never had one take a second step after he's been hit. It's just tough to beat the superior ballistics of the 7 mm bullets available today. Berger definitely hit a home run with the 130 150 and 170 in the 277 caliber. I have a friend who built the 270 WSM to use the 170s for shooting 1000 yds. The setup does phenomenally well but at that range when I'm shooting 180s from my 284 at a 3000 fps, it outperforms his setup in both drop and wind. Also the accuracy of my 284 is far superior to his 270 at those longer ranges. Guessing why you don't see many 270 WSMs in 1000-yard matches.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.