Votes: 27 9.6%
  • 6.5mm/.264

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • 7mm/.284

Votes: 74 26.3%
  • 30 cal.

Votes: 78 27.8%

• Total voters
Yep the old 25-06 is my favorite. I call mine Light Switch. When you flip the switch what ever is in the cross hairs lights goes out. I also have a soft spot for the 6.5s in many flavors as well as a few 30s.

caliber ?? or cartridge??
Oh I love this forum because it has experienced shooters and hunters who share what is best for their region, the terrain, and most importantly the rigs they have confidence in. That is usually the key to successful hunting.

Will everyone I know please give me one "pass" for the following tongue in cheek post that is not meant to offend anyone? You all have great success with what you do. Please delete the following attempt at humour. Here goes......

The poll was designed to see if anyone out there is using anything other than a 270 Win on white tail. I have met 3 in my life

How many elk have you killed?
I haven't killed any, but I know they're anatomy, and they are nothing more than oversized deer. I've killed several deer with a .22-250, and comparing bullet to animal size ratio, I'd say .30 caliber and elk are pretty comparative. I've also had several deer roll up from a .22-250 55 grain Hornady, and have seen them run for over 100 yards with a perfect shot from a .300 Weatherby Mag. Animals run...It's instinct. Sometimes you get lucky and all the stars align and you get a DRT kill. But those are not as common as people like to tell.

And, I also know that this thread is about WHITETAIL DEER, not elk.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.