Votes: 27 9.6%
  • 6.5mm/.264

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • 7mm/.284

Votes: 74 26.3%
  • 30 cal.

Votes: 78 27.8%

• Total voters
2506...got me curious....why are you more apt to carry that rifle...is it because most 2506 are built lighter in weight than other calibers...
My reason for buying the mountain rifle used 20 or so years ago was for the 6.5-20×40 leupold....rifle was just a bonus....

I've shot deer with 6mm, 6.5mm, 270 and 30 cal. I'd have to say my top pick would probably go to the 6.5. Adequate energy and recoil for most people. I love the 270. Win but for smaller men, women and children recoil can be just a touch to much. 6mm is one of my favourites I just feel that the 6.5 gives a slight edge in room for error.

I personally hunt with a 260. Rem pushing 140gr hvld's around 2875fps, putting together a 6mm creed or 6x47 to push 105's at 3000+ for deer.

For many years I took virtually all of my whitetails with a custom 7 STW. Eventually I replaced the rifle with something shorter, lighter and with a bit less recoil. I had a rifle built in 7WSM. Probably my all-time favorite cartridge for the vast majority of my hunting excursions.
I guess you can put me in the 7mm/whitetail club too.

Since I've only been on two trips to hunt Whitetail deer, I have limited experience. At the time of those hunts my only rifle was a 300 win mag. It did the trick on 6 deer with zero tracking needed. If I get the opportunity to hunt them again, it will be with my 260 rem or my soon to be completed 6.5x284. But, the 300 win mag is still my all time favorite.

Question must have been posed by a survey company engaged in elections...
I'll go old school with my .257 Roberts.
Nothing Better. Well my .260 REM comes close but lacks nostalgia...

I have nostagia with my 6.5x55 Swede that has been around longer than our venerable .30-06 but it is not my go to chambering for WT, my .300 WM has that calling.

For many years I took virtually all of my whitetails with a custom 7 STW. Eventually I replaced the rifle with something shorter, lighter and with a bit less recoil. I had a rifle built in 7WSM. Probably my all-time favorite cartridge for the vast majority of my hunting excursions.
I guess you can put me in the 7mm/whitetail club too.
Varmint hunter, that's 7mm snob club, just to clarify! HEHEHE

I was curious of what caliber is the favorite for white tail deer hunting. Thank you!
I've taken deer with a lot of different rifles and calibers over the years my first deer was taken with a universal 30carbine many years ago I've killed em with 308,270,2506,3006,6mm06,7mm08,6.5brm,300wm and I'm sure there are others to but my all time biggest Missouri monster 178&6/8 was taken with my ruger #1 in 6.5 wsm 2years ago then last year I took a 156&2/8 12 point with the same rifle shooting 140 bergers that is my favorite rifle period

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.