Remington Long Range 5R... Have I lost my mind?

WildRose, I do have a quick question. You mentioned a little trigger work on your Remington 700's. I think on an earlier post you showed a link to a lighter trigger spring. Is that part of the "Fix" you did to your factory triggers? I am curious, as one of mine still has the factory set-up, & really needs a tune-up to lighten it up some.... Thanks in advance! Idaho-5R

WildRose, I do have a quick question. You mentioned a little trigger work on your Remington 700's. I think on an earlier post you showed a link to a lighter trigger spring. Is that part of the "Fix" you did to your factory triggers? I am curious, as one of mine still has the factory set-up, & really needs a tune-up to lighten it up some.... Thanks in advance! Idaho-5R
No I guess I'm lucky and haven't gotten one of the X-Marks with a heavy duty spring.

I adjust them down and then bathe the whole trigger group in lapping compound and work it until the burs are gone. It takes a couple of hours to get them right but so far I've been able to get all of mine to the point where they were very light and crisp without having to spend the money on aftermarket triggers. I have the X-Mark on I think four or five of my Model 700's, the rest are the old Walker Trigger.

It may be the Weatherby spring from Ernie the gunsmith you're thinking of here.

Here's my 5R Gen II 308. Pillar bedded to an A3 stock and I swapped the trigger with a Calvin Elite trigger. It's the first 700 I've bought that didn't need to have the rail bedded. It fits perfect. My first generation 5R 308 shot as well as any top custom I've had and nearly as well as an SPR A3G rifle I had.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 126
Here's my 5R Gen II 308. Pillar bedded to an A3 stock and I swapped the trigger with a Calvin Elite trigger. It's the first 700 I've bought that didn't need to have the rail bedded. It fits perfect. My first generation 5R 308 shot as well as any top custom I've had and nearly as well as an SPR A3G rifle I had.
Your's has the funky super wide/deep 3 flutes as well I see.

I've never seen anyone do fluting like this before. It's almost like they modeled it after their VTR barrel but left enough meat to keep calling it a round barrel instead of triangular.

Whatever physics are behind it, it works as this is by far the best shooting rifle out of the box I've ever shot.

Bedded the recoil lug and under the chamber, worked over the trigger for a couple of hours and that's it. Thankfully the Ruger Hawkeye FTW shoots almost as well and is at least 2lbs lighter so it's a very nice carry weight.

Your's has the funky super wide/deep 3 flutes as well I see.

I've never seen anyone do fluting like this before. It's almost like they modeled it after their VTR barrel but left enough meat to keep calling it a round barrel instead of triangular.

Whatever physics are behind it, it works as this is by far the best shooting rifle out of the box I've ever shot.

Bedded the recoil lug and under the chamber, worked over the trigger for a couple of hours and that's it. Thankfully the Ruger Hawkeye FTW shoots almost as well and is at least 2lbs lighter so it's a very nice carry weight.

So I take it that you're glad you took the plunge, and put some faith in Remington once again? :D

These are the first seven shots from mine. The single is a sighter after a quick bore sight. The three in the orange is the first group. The second group was shot after a small adjustment. Both groups are sub 3/4" which isn't anything special but the significance in it for me is that this is the best I've ever gotten Federal Gold Medal Match 175 ammo to shoot. I've had stellar results in many 308s with 168 GMM but only MOA +/- with 175. Those results are encouraging. I'll be working up 178 HPBTs with RL15, 4064 and maybe Varget. Then I'll be anxious to try the new 178 ELDMs when they become available. The 178 ELDXs shoot fabulous out of my 20" XCR. Unless she hates 178s, that's about all I care to shoot in this rig.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 104
M. Eichele, Very Nice looking remmy 5R!!!!! I'm really liking the looks of those gen.2 5R's!!!!!! I still like my first generation 5R's, but the look of these new ones is really starting to grow on me, Ha Ha....... My original 308 5R has done well with 175 Nosler custom comps. At this time I'm working on loads topped with the 185 Berger Juggernauts. At this point the jury is still out on them. If I don't come up with something soon, I might have to look into those ELD-X's. Good Luck with those beauties, !!!
Idaho-5R

One thing I noticed about this rifle is the bore feels extremely smooth and uniform during cleaning unlike other factory barrels. It also visibly doesn't foul bad and cleans as easy as any premium barrel I've owned. Copper fouling is nearly non-existent. Visibly, it looks good and smooth. A lot of Remington barrels look on the rough side but this one looks great. I'd swear it was a top of the heap custom barrel.

I'm impressed enough with it that I'm considering buying another one in 260 Rem. Of course, I'll swap the stock for an A3 and swap the trigger.

One thing I noticed about this rifle is the bore feels extremely smooth and uniform during cleaning unlike other factory barrels. It also visibly doesn't foul bad and cleans as easy as any premium barrel I've owned. Copper fouling is nearly non-existent. Visibly, it looks good and smooth. A lot of Remington barrels look on the rough side but this one looks great. I'd swear it was a top of the heap custom barrel.

I'm impressed enough with it that I'm considering buying another one in 260 Rem. Of course, I'll swap the stock for an A3 and swap the trigger.

Same with all my 5R barrels (2 Rem, 2 Rainier, and 1 Satern). Smooth cleaning, easy cleaning, little-to-no copper fouling, and very uniform and smooth down all the way down the bore. Best factory rifle barrels I've EVER seen. After my first 5R back in 2010, I've been hooked ever since. I also want one of the new G2 .260 Rem 5R's like WildRose has.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts