Remington Long Range 5R... Have I lost my mind?

Hey Rose, any updates?
Naa, I got busy so it may be next week before I really get time to shoot it.

I did get time to shoot the Ruger yesterday though and I'm pretty impressed with it as I'm getting 1-1.5" 3 shot groups from it with factory ammo.

I am a bit disappointed in the Ruger from the aspect of the action being a bit rough but that will of course solve itself in time as I shoot it.

I was just about to get to shooting the Remington when I got a call and the customers I had coming to town arrived about 3 hours early which ate up the balance of my range time.

Patience.. .

Yes and no... None of the 5R Milspecs were ever listed in the Remington catalogue. So, while they are a limited run, they make them once a year, and then once they sell out, you gotta wait till the next year to get one.

Also, the contour of the 5R Milspecs is the same as the Sendero/Varmint rifles. The M24 rifles that use these same 416R stainless barrels are kept at an MTU/M24 contour. The 5R civilian models are turned down to Sendero/Varmint contour, so it's still not a light-weight contour, just lighter than the M24.

I will say that I wish they had made it a 26" barrel...But my 24" .308 Win 5R shoots amazing. So, it's not a huge deal, just a personal preference.

These have the proper 1:8 twist, you should not be disappointed, once you swap the trigger.
Well I got some time with it at the range this afternoon and have to say I'm really pleased with it.

Shooting "Prime Ammo" factory 140's at 200yds my last six shots fell into two one hole groups. I was a tad off to the right and corrected and just ate the heart out of the bull.

It did not like the Federal Premium 140gr SGK ammo at all and just never would really group well with it.

The Ruger actually shot far better with the Federal Ammo so I may just leave well enough alone till after the season to start fooling around with load development for them. By then I"ll have probably a hundred rounds of brass from each as well as a couple of hundred lapua cases and that's more than enough to give me what I need to work with.

So far at least I can't say that I'm the least bit disappointed by either rifle.

Awesome! I was hoping by now I'd have a job where I could buy one of these, too...But this close to an election cycle, nobody seems to be hiring... Which sucks.

But, that's great that they're shooting good. That should mean that with some load development, you should be seeing groups similar to my 5R's. :D

Wild Rose, Sir, unless I've missed something here...... We are all waiting for pics of that new 5R-260....... Your killing us Sir... Ha Ha..... I'd love to add a 5R-260 to my collection, but having been out of work for 7 months last year, & having to take a job for less $$$$, my gun buying has slowed waaay down, Ha Ha........ Please keep us up to date, & please show us some pics!!!!! I am , however wondering about the lighter trigger spring you showed in an earlier post. Is that spring actually working well for you???? Idaho-5R

Wild Rose, Sir, unless I've missed something here...... We are all waiting for pics of that new 5R-260....... Your killing us Sir... Ha Ha..... I'd love to add a 5R-260 to my collection, but having been out of work for 7 months last year, & having to take a job for less $$$$, my gun buying has slowed waaay down, Ha Ha........ Please keep us up to date, & please show us some pics!!!!! I am , however wondering about the lighter trigger spring you showed in an earlier post. Is that spring actually working well for you???? Idaho-5R

I know the feeling...Been out of work for 6 months now...Still looking for something that doesn't involve me flipping burgers or working for peanuts...

And yes, I'm also still waiting for pics of the 5R .260, as well... :D

I would absolutely LOVE to put one in my collection right now, too. Of course, I'd immediately have the chamber punched to .260 AI...But that's just me. :cool:

Well Mario can probably post the target since I texted him a picture the other day and I even took a camera with me to take pictures and after I got all out and ready, the battery was dead!

I'm not computer savvy enough to figure out how to get them off of my phone to post here but I can from the camera to the computer to here.

Looks wise it's nothing special but the way they did the fluting is different than I'm used to for sure.

Kinda halfway between fluting it and going to the new triangular shape of the VTR.

Well Mario can probably post the target since I texted him a picture the other day and I even took a camera with me to take pictures and after I got all out and ready, the battery was dead!

I'm not computer savvy enough to figure out how to get them off of my phone to post here but I can from the camera to the computer to here.

Looks wise it's nothing special but the way they did the fluting is different than I'm used to for sure.

Kinda halfway between fluting it and going to the new triangular shape of the VTR.

If you have a smartphone, download the free Photobucket app. And setup a Photobucket account (also free). Set your folder filters to Private, and everything is good to go.

Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

Once you upload your photos, you look on the right-hand side of the the photo you select, and it will show you about 4 different options. Select the "IMG" code. And paste it in the reply box here on the forum.

If you have a smartphone, download the free Photobucket app. And setup a Photobucket account (also free). Set your folder filters to Private, and everything is good to go.

Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

Once you upload your photos, you look on the right-hand side of the the photo you select, and it will show you about 4 different options. Select the "IMG" code. And paste it in the reply box here on the forum.
Well, the camera is charged and I have to go do some more shooting tomorrow or Tuesday. I thought to send M a picture of the target but didn't snap any of the rig.

Since I always keep my iPhones upgraded every 2 years like clockwork when the all-new model gets released, I always have the latest model with good cameras built-in. My new iPhone 7 Plus has a 12Mp camera on it, which is actually 2Mp higher resolution than my real Nikon J1 camera (10.2Mp)...

So, I can go into my PB app, and upload the photos directly from my camera roll into my PB account. It makes it really fast and easy to take, upload, and post pictures.

Since I always keep my iPhones upgraded every 2 years like clockwork, I always have the latest model with good cameras built-in. My new iPhone 7 Plus has a 12Mp camera on it, which is actually 2Mp higher resolution than my real Nikon J1 camera (10.2Mp)...

So, I can go into my PB app, and upload the photos directly from my camera roll into my PB account. It makes it really fast and easy to take, upload, and post pictures.
This is as close as I get to doing the "social media" thing.

I have stuck with Android and try to keep up with a new one every couple of years as well and while this one has a good camera by the time I got everything set up to shoot with the good "camera" I was running out of time when I discovered the dead batteries. The Cannon takes great pictures when it does have battery power however and I'll try and be sure to take it.

Your 5R's are the "mil spec" stainless models aren't they?

This is as close as I get to doing the "social media" thing.

I have stuck with Android and try to keep up with a new one every couple of years as well and while this one has a good camera by the time I got everything set up to shoot with the good "camera" I was running out of time when I discovered the dead batteries. The Cannon takes great pictures when it does have battery power however and I'll try and be sure to take it.

Your 5R's are the "mil spec" stainless models aren't they?

I'm on a couple of forums that have to do with my hobbies, and that's it for me. None of that other social media crap.

Yes, my 5R's are the original "Milspec" models, which are the matte stainless, non-fluted, with the green/black web HS Precision stocks.

Here u go

Didn't realize i wa son the hook for his.
The hell with wild rose, crazy rose didn't tell me

Attachments

• IMG_7663.JPG
    IMG_7663.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 152
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.