Remington 700 Long Range 7mm Remington Magnum issues I

New brass. I usually tumble it between firings. Cleans inside and out as well as primer pocket. 1st firing. Working up in powder charge. Bolt lift fine and no extractor marks up to 78 gr of H-1000 and 215's. 76 and 78 detected a slight hesitation with removal from chamber. 2nd firing on brass at 77 grains to start checking seating depth. Had several "stick" in chamber. 3rd firing different seating depths and 6 of 9 had sticking issues. Basically saying I am having the same issues as the OP with the same model of rifle, although a different caliber.
My batch of win brass seems to be of lower quality than what I'm used to. 2 of the 9 cases have small splits on them. The necks were badly out of round and beat up before I ran them through a die to use them for the first firing. Have been told by several others that Win brass is usually "harder" than Rem. Bruce

I freely admit that I am new to magnum cartridges, but not to shooting or reloading.

I went to the range yesterday to zero my new Remington 700 Long Range in 7mm Remington Magnum, and had too many new experiences. The initial load that I created was well within Sierra's load recommendations. My goal was to develop a functional load for F class 1000 yard matches.

The load:
Bullet: Sierra 168gr MatchKing (.284)
Powder: 65.0 gr IMR7828
Primer: CCI 250 Magnum Large Rifle
Cases: 1 batch using once fired Winchester Western, 1 batch using Barnes, all rounds were once fired, but they were full length resized.

The Barnes brass loads chronographed at 2803 fps, the Winchester brassed loads chronographed at 2780 fps. Sierra's load recommendations would put this combination at about 2930 fps.

The major problem that I experienced was that the majority of the loads using the Winchester brass were difficult to extract after firing. None of the cartridges exhibited signs of excessive pressure, other than the difficult extraction.

I suspect that the lower velocities are due to insufficient crimping, but I am at a loss about the difficult extraction. The bore and chamber were thoroughly cleaned before the range session.

Thank you in advance for any and all constructive advice! gun)

My buddy has this same gun in the same caliber he was getting his speeds but it wasn't extracting the Winchester brass as well he put a new extractor in and it worked find after that unfortunately Remington is allowing some pretty crappy design errors to leave the factor right now one of those is the extractor on this exact mode if you compare the extractor to other 700s you will see it is almost nonexistent compared to them. Hope this helps with the extraction problem.

I would NOT use the Tubbs FF on a new barrel, just do normal break in. Any marks on the brass exterior ? Velocities will always vary, better too low than too high to start, just bump your way up a little at a time. Some barrels pick up speed after a while.
Emphasis mine.

YES. What break in procedure did the OP use if any?

I just picked up a Rem 700 long range in the .300 WM and am having the same issue. Win brass. Brass is tumbled and full length sized. Headspace is between 4 and 5 thousanths. Case doesn't fit well in action with only 2 thousanths. 2 of the 9 pieces of brass already have split necks. Win brass is the roughest I've ever seen. Just not real happy at this point. Broz mentioned to me at this price point QC and overall care is likely lacking. Going to polish the chamber and go from there. Bruce
I've found a couple of easy ways to polish a chanber.

One is to use 0000 steel wool and lapping compound.

Wrap it around a piece pistol cleaning rod till it fits barely snugly in the chamber. Bathe id liberally in lapping compound and spin with a drill ten seconds or so at a time wiping clean and checking chambering in between.

The other is to use a piece of fired brass, mount it on a piece of rod by drilling the primer hole out to the diameter of the rod and using a little epoxy to secure the rod *same diameter as your bullet* to the neck. Let set overnight.

Bathe it in lapping compound and spin on a drill about 30 sec to 1 minute at a time, cleaning and checking chambering between rounds.

I've also had some very rough factory brass over the years and found the fastest way polish out the imperfections was to mount it in a drill using an RCBS base for case length trimming, 0000 steel wool, a drill and a little brasso.

15-30 seconds of spinning it in the drill would clean up the worst brass really quickly.

its not quality issue of the remington 700 its the quality of the brass. brass is large at the beltweb area.

My buddy has this same gun in the same caliber he was getting his speeds but it wasn't extracting the Winchester brass as well he put a new extractor in and it worked find after that unfortunately Remington is allowing some pretty crappy design errors to leave the factor right now one of those is the extractor on this exact mode if you compare the extractor to other 700s you will see it is almost nonexistent compared to them. Hope this helps with the extraction problem.

I too use the WW brass (sure it has quality issues compared to premium brass) out of my three .300 Win Mags (SAKO, TC, and Savage) without any extraction problem.

I too use the WW brass (sure it has quality issues compared to premium brass) out of my three .300 Win Mags (SAKO, TC, and Savage) without any extraction problem.
Believe it or not for my Rem 700 STW and my old Win 70 7mm Rem the old Winchester Supreme Nickel Plated brass was my favorite brass of all.

It was hard but flawless and always fed and extracted better than any other brass I ran in them.

Believe it or not for my Rem 700 STW and my old Win 70 7mm Rem the old Winchester Supreme Nickel Plated brass was my favorite brass of all.

It was hard but flawless and always fed and extracted better than any other brass I ran in them.

I only have a few of them (1Xs off my SAKO) prepped but have not reloaded them ... yet. Indeed they are hard but sure are pretty. :D

Guess I must of got lucky with my rem 700 lr in 300 win. I haven't shot any Winchester brass through it though. I've ran so far through it has been hornady and Remington for factory loads. But the hornady brass I've used it to reload some bergers. Twice fired now. Never had a extraction problem yet.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not subscribing to that belted issue crap people keep incessantly spewing... Most of my rifles are belted calibers, and out of the thousands upon thousands (not to mention the couple thousand from 2013 & 2014 with tons of load development and sizing inbetween) of belted rounds I've shot over the span of my life, I have NEVER had 1 single issue caused by the case having a belt on it. I HAVE had some case/head separation issues that were tested and proven to be contained to only one particular brand of brass (Federal 7mm STW), but nothing because of the belted design.

The diarrhea of the mouth of the literary prostitutes. " GUN WRITERS" Fact.... The belted round design is only good for one thing fire forming a improved design of cartrage. To bad the belt is still there. Headspacing at the back of a case is a poor design. sure you can neck size but will the round chamber without full forming ? bump the shoulder now your headspacing at the belt again. Is it any wonder why they dont use belted rounds in benchrest shooting. sure they are less accurate in most cases. and the constent growth of the 300 win mag causing constant brass change in neck tension ? dont get me wrong the preformance of the 300 wm is very good in some cases I would consider it to be one of the best all around cartrages known to man. fact still remains that the belt causes issues and that there has been lots of issues with 300 wm brass quality over the past 10 years.

Sounds like you have the run (pun intended) of the same diarrhea noted above. :rolleyes:

Belted cartridges has been around for 100+ years and they continue manufacture them because there are many happy end users.

The last batch of WW brass I got for my 7mm Rem Mag had 5-10 pieces that had sort of a burr on the case head. They were extremely difficult to chamber and I was seeing brass shavings from the extractor. A quick hot with some sand paper and there's no problems. Been shooting Winchester brass for 20+ years in all my guns and never had any issues until last year.

Generally, factory rifle manufactures tell you to use quality factory ammo. I'd buy a box and see what happens. If it doesn't work right, send it back. The sooner the better. Sure there's some aggravation in waiting but I'm not sure it's more aggravation than 50 trips to the range and then sending it back or off to a gunsmith. Returning guns to Remington is becoming part of the Remington experience but it'll probably be fixed when you own it the second time.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.