7mm remington magnum

ann brezinski

i saw where gunwerts and beat of the west use this cartrige for hunting and the 168 and 180 grain berger bullets for long range hunting.they seam to kill these anamales quite quigly.any thougts on this as far as a long range hunting ruund

There are far more experienced here than me on this subject but this caliber works well for me. Are you wanting to shoot target or hunting or both?

We shoot quite a few elk among all of us. The deadliest round I have ever seen is a 7mm RM shooting a 160PT at 3050fps hand loads. Dang death ray and the farthest he ever shoots is mid 400's. Biggest we use are a couple 300RUM and that 7RM combo drops them better. He calls his rifle OLD BETTY WOMP EM and it's 38 years old.

The farthest elk kill I have with my 7mm Mag is 620yds with 160 Accubond leaving the muzzle at 3050.
66gr RL 26. Personally that is as far as I would stretch it.
Probably down near 1500 foot pounds of energy!

It's pretty hard to beat the good ol 7mm rem mag. It's been one of my favorite cartridges for years and its never left an animal wounded in the field with kills from 40 yards to a 1200 yard antelope. I shoot a 28 nosler mostly now but thats just for a little extra umph with the heavier bullets which is really only needed for bigger critters at really long ranges. The 7 mag with a 168 vld and around 68 grains of h1000 is in my mind the "classic" long range hunting combo.

It's pretty hard to beat the good ol 7mm rem mag. It's been one of my favorite cartridges for years and its never left an animal wounded in the field with kills from 40 yards to a 1200 yard antelope. I shoot a 28 nosler mostly now but thats just for a little extra umph with the heavier bullets which is really only needed for bigger critters at really long ranges. The 7 mag with a 168 vld and around 68 grains of h1000 is in my mind the "classic" long range hunting combo.
That's pretty much the combo that got the sport going in my mind, thinking back to the early 2000s and watching the "beyond belief" DVDs. Good stuff

If I were limited to only one rifle it would be a 7 mag. The last one was a custom long range rifle with a 28" barrel. I was getting 2992 fps with 180 grain Berger HVLD's. Took my furthest two marmots at 1400 and 1402 yards along with a good number between 800 and 1332 yards. Shot a bull at 1098 yards. 1 shot, 50 yard stumble and down. For sporter weight rifles I used 160 Accubonds for elk and 168 grain matchkings for prairie dogs and marmots.

Since we are on the subject of 7mm. I have found 6mm on up to 338 bullets but almost 0 7mm bullets my thoughts is because it's just that popular. Any thoughts?
Depends on what you are looking …. I did a quick search and the first site I hit was Grafs and they number of 7mm in stock

Thank you. I Checked said they had 152 different bullet choices. Clicked on it they had a hand full of barns and Berger to choose from everything else is out of stock.