7mm remington magnum

7mm offers some of the most efficient bullet designs ever created. They are outstanding from a terminal performance perspective. Once upon a time I shot a ton of 375, 338, and .30 cal. These days, my big guns stop at 7mm. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

7mmLRM is a fantastic cartridge, with poor brass. If I were building something in that class of 7mm magnum today, I'd build a 7-300PRC.

The huge variety of 7mm bullets ensures you can have whatever performance you want, for nearly any big game job.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I dont see how anybody claiming to have experience with the larger calibers can say that.
They are very good to a point, but they cant compare with the larger ones when you get beyond that point.

I dont see how anybody claiming to have experience with the larger calibers can say that.
They are very good to a point, but they cant compare with the larger ones when you get beyond that point.
Compare how? What are you talking about?

I'm not "claiming" anything. My experience with the larger cartridges was heavily documented. Some of it right here on this forum. There was a time I shot almost exclusively .338LM and .375 Cheytac. Somewhere is a post of a trophy mule deer I shot in oregon in 2012 with a 338LM at 945yds. Putting 2 of three bullets right next to its heart, and watching him walk around afterward. Yeah sure, I collected him... but that was the last hunt of many I went on with a 338LM. I started moving down in caliber to 30cal... and it was ok, but still too many pass throughs and no energy transfer.

Then I landed on 7mm, and my life has been a joy since. Absolutely clapping animals to the ground with 7LRM and 7mm Norma Mag Improved at distances up to 1300yds. Good luck telling me 7mm doesn't work. lol

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

The farthest elk kill I have with my 7mm Mag is 620yds with 160 Accubond leaving the muzzle at 3050.
66gr RL 26. Personally that is as far as I would stretch it.
Probably down near 1500 foot pounds of energy!

I think most believe 1000 fpe is the minimum for deer and 1500 is the minimum for elk.

620... Great shot!

I'm a 7RM lover as well. I've got a Savage 110 Switchback that is proving out to be a real tack driver. I wouldn't call it a mountain rifle, as it is a little heavy, but it is sure a shooter.

These are hard numbers to ignore......
7,000 feet elevation, 800 yards, 2092 fps, 1575 fpe, 162gr ELD-X

Compare how? What are you talking about?

I'm not "claiming" anything. My experience with the larger cartridges was heavily documented. Some of it right here on this forum. There was a time I shot almost exclusively .338LM and .375 Cheytac. Somewhere is a post of a trophy mule deer I shot in oregon in 2012 with a 338LM at 945yds. Putting 2 of three bullets right next to its heart, and watching him walk around afterward. Yeah sure, I collected him... but that was the last hunt of many I went on with a 338LM. I started moving down in caliber to 30cal... and it was ok, but still too many pass throughs and no energy transfer.

Then I landed on 7mm, and my life has been a joy since. Absolutely clapping animals to the ground with 7LRM and 7mm Norma Mag Improved at distances up to 1300yds. Good luck telling me 7mm doesn't work. lol

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Well i dont believe i said that they dont work.
I said they only work at least well to a point.
Mind you i own them as well, and they have been responsible for more long range kills at our camp than the others have.
But if your going to be hunting at locations that could offer say an 800 yard shot over there, but by looking at that hill over there it could be much further, then its best to be equipted for the much further shot with our cartridge choice.
As for them walking away after being hit, ive seen that happen with 338s also, but they didnt walk very far before dieing.
And weve had them walk when hit with other cartridges as well. And while were at it with the 7mms, theres a big difference between the ones sending a 160 class bullet at about 3000 fps and ones sending the same bullet at 3400.
And another big difference between those and one that can send a 200 grain at that speed.
You just cant kill what you dont hit, and when were talking 1300 yds or further, you will hit it easier with the larger bullets.
And thats not just an opinion.