Remington Long Range 5R... Have I lost my mind?

Same with all my 5R barrels (2 Rem, 2 Rainier, and 1 Satern). Smooth cleaning, easy cleaning, little-to-no copper fouling, and very uniform and smooth down all the way down the bore. Best factory rifle barrels I've EVER seen. After my first 5R back in 2010, I've been hooked ever since. I also want one of the new G2 .260 Rem 5R's like WildRose has.

My first gen was bought in 2002. I don't remember how well it did or didn't clean but it did shoot lights out. If it did clean like a pita, I'm sure I would have remembered. It was rebarrrled in 2009.

My first gen was bought in 2002. I don't remember how well it did or didn't clean but it did shoot lights out. If it did clean like a pita, I'm sure I would have remembered. It was rebarrrled in 2009.

Only reason I remember is because I bought my Accumark in 2008, and not long after hitting 50-75 rounds down the barrel, the barrel stared caving-in, and I started having to literally beat the jag and patch down the bore with my palm to get it to exit, then barrel issues got worse and worse and worse, which led to its demise (traded it off at a big loss). After an experience like that, you start paying VERY close attention to how smoothly the jags and brushes go down the bore of you rifles.

Thinking about getting myself an early Christmas present... :cool:

Any updates on the 5R Gen2 .260? :D
Well I made a hell of a shot on a coyote with it day before yesterday and decided to put it up for the season and shoot some of the other more neglected rifles for a while. He was sitting on his haunches in the middle of a wheatfield just staring a hole through me and when the bullet connected he just folded up in a lump.

I'd have to work hard to come up with a criticism and that would be that it's too heavy for what most people would want for a carry rifle but of course, I didn't buy it to be a carry rifle so it's a moot point.

Well I made a hell of a shot on a coyote with it day before yesterday and decided to put it up for the season and shoot some of the other more neglected rifles for a while. He was sitting on his haunches in the middle of a wheatfield just staring a hole through me and when the bullet connected he just folded up in a lump.

I'd have to work hard to come up with a criticism and that would be that it's too heavy for what most people would want for a carry rifle but of course, I didn't buy it to be a carry rifle so it's a moot point.

Have you shot any of the Berger 6.5mm 130 AR Hybrids, 140 VLD's, or the new 140 Elite Hunter Hybrids?

That new 140 Elite Hunter has a .606 G1 BC, and is rated for a 1:8 twist. :D

Have you shot any of the Berger 6.5mm 130 AR Hybrids, 140 VLD's, or the new 140 Elite Hunter Hybrids?

That new 140 Elite Hunter has a .606 G1 BC, and is rated for a 1:8 twist. :D
No, so far all I've shot in it are Norma, Sirocco, and Game King's.

It's shot all three very well. The Norma 130g VLD that Prime loads in their factory ammo has been extremely accurate and has been just nasty on varmints/predators. It did a decent job on Deer in that it certainly killed them but I wasn't impressed with the huge exit wounds, too much like the Berger for me in that regard.

As soon as I get time I've got some of the Peregrine 124g VRG4's I want to give a try on deer and hogs before the end of the season.

No, so far all I've shot in it are Norma, Sirocco, and Game King's.

It's shot all three very well. The Norma 130g VLD that Prime loads in their factory ammo has been extremely accurate and has been just nasty on varmints/predators. It did a decent job on Deer in that it certainly killed them but I wasn't impressed with the huge exit wounds, too much like the Berger for me in that regard.

As soon as I get time I've got some of the Peregrine 124g VRG4's I want to give a try on deer and hogs before the end of the season.

Good deal. I look forward to the updates.

I have been playing with .260s for LR for a couple of years and I like it. Mine is on a Tac 30 with a 26" Bartlein 1:85 5R. It is a little rocky out of the gate @.5MOA-.75MOA depending on the charge, at 800 it is down to about .25, and at 1K it generally runs between .25-.5MOA with me shooting :D. I am using 142gr SMK molly coated. I still don't have 200 rounds down it but maybe work will ease off some and I can shoot more.

I like it so much that I had one built on a 700 action with a Bartlein 1:8 5R #3 profile to hunt with. I just finished it a few weeks ago and so far have managed to send a few down range. I am currently playing with 130TMK, 127gr Barnes LRX, and picked up some AccuBond LR 129gr from someone here.

I think you just might like it

Good deal. I look forward to the updates.
If you find a deal on one I'd say go get it. I'll put it this way, I'm impressed enough with it that if I didn't already have 3 Model 70's in 300wm I'd buy one of these in it.

Even at their regular prices I think it's one rifle that performs well above it's price point.

The kind of triangular shape of the barrel due to the 3 deep groove fluting is also just cools as heck.

I have been playing with .260s for LR for a couple of years and I like it. Mine is on a Tac 30 with a 26" Bartlein 1:85 5R. It is a little rocky out of the gate @.5MOA-.75MOA depending on the charge, at 800 it is down to about .25, and at 1K it generally runs between .25-.5MOA with me shooting :D. I am using 142gr SMK molly coated. I still don't have 200 rounds down it but maybe work will ease off some and I can shoot more.

I like it so much that I had one built on a 700 action with a Bartlein 1:8 5R #3 profile to hunt with. I just finished it a few weeks ago and so far have managed to send a few down range. I am currently playing with 130TMK, 127gr Barnes LRX, and picked up some AccuBond LR 129gr from someone here.

I think you just might like it
I've got 200 of the 130gr Remington Premier Accutips, a couple of hundred ELD-X and about sixty of the Peregrine VRG4's to run through both of them and somewhere along the way I am betting I'll find something each of them really likes.

If you find a deal on one I'd say go get it. I'll put it this way, I'm impressed enough with it that if I didn't already have 3 Model 70's in 300wm I'd buy one of these in it.

Even at their regular prices I think it's one rifle that performs well above it's price point.

The kind of triangular shape of the barrel due to the 3 deep groove fluting is also just cools as heck.

Now you see what we have been bragging about all these years... Welcome to the 5R club. :D

Yeah I'm going to see if my local FFL's will order one in for me, and what price they can get it for.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.