Remington 5R

All three of my 308 Milspecs shot Fed 168gr GM Match ammo into .5MOA or better.
There is no sense in getting defensive about this.
There are some advantages to the 5R rifles. Less stress on the bullet in the barrel, less fouling and, I would imagine, with less stress on the bullet,there is less heat bult up in the barrel.
All of us who have been around a fair few years have rifles we bought new that are better than fair shooters.
5R is just an improvement in rifling that offers a potential benefit to all standard production rifles.
Keep it cool brother and keep on shooting.

I agree that shooters shouldn't feel violated by the comments about the R5. I have a couple of standard factory rifles that shoot superbly. Interestingly, when bore-scoped, most look very rough, more like the inside of a a sewer pipe! Performance is hit or miss with the standard factory barrels. The R5's seem to demonstrate very consistent performance. I'm not so sure that the R5 rifling is the main/only contributor to the Remington MilSpec's accuracy. Having scoped several of these, the barrels have the integrity and finish more representative of a custom barrel, far better then most factory barrels I've scoped. IMO.

All three of my 308 Milspecs shot Fed 168gr GM Match ammo into .5MOA or better.

I agree that shooters shouldn't feel violated by the comments about the R5. I have a couple of standard factory rifles that shoot superbly. Interestingly, when bore-scoped, most look very rough, more like the inside of a a sewer pipe! Performance is hit or miss with the standard factory barrels. The R5's seem to demonstrate very consistent performance. I'm not so sure that the R5 rifling is the main/only contributor to the Remington MilSpec's accuracy. Having scoped several of these, the barrels have the integrity and finish more representative of a custom barrel, far better then most factory barrels I've scoped. IMO.
That's because these barrels aren't made by Remington...They are custom barrels. They're made by Schneider for Remington contracts. ;)

Not getting defencive mate, just stating fact.
As mentioned there are plenty of makers preaching so called 'guaranteed' accuracies.
But its you that determines that!
Can anyone show me significant proof the 5T rifling is any more accurate than another type or groove configuration?
The shooter does have a great deal to do with shooting sub 1/2MOA but, if the rifle is not capable of doing it in its current condition, it does matter how good the shooter is. That's all I'm saying.
I do agree, it takes skill to shoot sub 1/2MOA groups even with a weapon capable of doing it.

That's because these barrels aren't made by Remington...They are custom barrels. They're made by Schneider for Remington contracts. ;)

I did not know that! One thing is for sure, my 308 Mil-Spec has the smoothest bore of any of my factory rifles. I am not good at keeping up with all rounds fired but I would say it will go 200+ rounds between cleaning. It is a 1/2 MOA or less rifle, I would like to have recoil lug bedded and a Trigger Tech trigger, but frankly I am afraid to touch it. I can put up with the trigger, this X Mark for some reason is better than most.

I can't guarantee 100% that Remington is still using Schneider barrels on the 5R Milspecs & M24's, but they still do on the Marine Corps M40 sniper rifles. And I think they are still using them for the M-24's, but I also heard that (as of late-2000's) they were tooled-up to make their own CHF (cold hammer-forged) 5R barrels in-house. So, conflicting info. Either way, they're still d@mn good barrels, and like @Greyfox said, they are as close to, and as accurate, as a top-tier aftermarket custom barrel, that you're ever going to find on a factory rifle...Especially for under $1,000 price tag.

Same here... Both of my Milspecs are butter-smooth running a brush and jag down them. I've been upwards of 250 rounds between cleanings with the .308 Win. and even then it cleaned up in just a few runs with the brush & a couple wet patches on a jag. None of my other rifles can even begin to touch that round count between cleanings. My hand-lapped 6-grooves come close (150+), but not quite 250.

I run old Walker triggers in mine, that I work-over and tune myself (as I have been trained by professional smiths on R700 triggers). I don't recommend doing trigger work unless you're very experienced or a professional.

Torque your action screws to 65 inch-pounds, and see if it helps tighten up your groups at all.

Mine shoots a comfortable average of ~1/4 MOA with handloads, but often dips down into 1 ragged hole 3-shot groups (.050" to .1xx"). Other than the trigger swap & tuning, and re-torquing the action screws, it's 100% factory.

Last edited:
Tony, that is so true.
Not long ago I did not care what a rifle weighed, but then again I was very active and did a lot of Powerlifting in college days and up to forty or so & I was naturally strong. But I am 66 now & while my Sendero's aren't too heavy yet, I am noticing them for sure.

I contacted Schneider Barrels some time ago (twice) and asked them about their barrels in Remington 5R's. No reply. I suspect that all of Remington's current 5R barrels are made in-house and that does not give me any warm fuzzies. Just the opposite in fact. I can't argue with real-world experience from people who own and shoot them however. I'd be willing to take a chance on buying one but based on reputation alone, I'm very skeptical of Remington's ability to maintain any degree of quality assurance on this line of guns.

But then no reply might have meant we are not supposed to know that.
Also, if Rem are making there's now, they may have done like Ruger or maybe a little more for their "better" Models. While not as smooth as a 5R, a lot of new Ruger rifles have good barrels, RPR, FTW and others, much better than the old cheap out sourced tubes of the past that gave Ruger a less than stellar reputation for accuracy.

I am unable to compare, my 5R is a custom shop model with the HS Precision Sendero II stock, skim bedded, Jewel trigger (Calvin Elite is sitting here for it if the Jewel is not to my liking.) It has no based, rings or scope as yet.
My 2 Sendero's are not stock and shoot itty bitty groups without trying too hard and I also picked up a LR in 300WM that has proven to shoot quite well with 3/8 MoA groups on one powder.

I don't know when I will get an oppurtunity to shoot the 5R as life has taken a turn and the monies set aside for it have vanished due to necessity.

Looking through the bore shows it to be smooth and not rough anywhere, but I have polished it and extended the throat already.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.