Remington 700 5r Accuracy

I've had great luck with my 308 5r. I did have the trigger lightened up a good bit. Done this 5 shot group at 100 yards with it before the trigger job.

Attachments

• F1A5A01A-5ADD-4B05-99F4-0E4E98B89A25.jpeg
    F1A5A01A-5ADD-4B05-99F4-0E4E98B89A25.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 186
I did torque all my screws as soon as it got out of the box, one of the types of ammo was a few different variations of handloads to try and see what it likes after the factory ammo was used to sight in, I was using a rifle basix trigger off a lead sled. I don't know what else I could have done to see how the rifle shoots out of the box. I know rifles settle in sometimes, still unacceptable. Especially when I can get a cheap T/C or something with a 1 MOA guarantee.

I already built a custom 6.5 creedmoor last year off a blueprinted action and a Douglas barrel, I haven't even loaded for it yet because it shoots through the same hole with Hornady Precision Hunter ammunition. I also have more invested in that rifle.

I wanted a .300 win mag for longer range, and I understand standard 700's aren't all that special. But this was billed as a higher quality build out of the box; stock, barrel, etc... and that is what has me peeved.

I do own a gun shop and do custom Cerakote work, this experience right here has it so I will advise against buying a Remington product, or anything from Freedom Group to anybody who walks through my door.

Oh and this was the second issue, before I went the range I was torquing the screws I loosened them and retightened. I sheared one of the stock screws off 4 threads in with only 3 fingers on the screwdriver and they had to send me another. So it was almost a month after getting the rifle I found out it shot worth crap.

I did torque all my screws as soon as it got out of the box, one of the types of ammo was a few different variations of handloads to try and see what it likes after the factory ammo was used to sight in, I was using a rifle basix trigger off a lead sled. I don't know what else I could have done to see how the rifle shoots out of the box. I know rifles settle in sometimes, still unacceptable. Especially when I can get a cheap T/C or something with a 1 MOA guarantee.

I already built a custom 6.5 creedmoor last year off a blueprinted action and a Douglas barrel, I haven't even loaded for it yet because it shoots through the same hole with Hornady Precision Hunter ammunition. I also have more invested in that rifle.

I wanted a .300 win mag for longer range, and I understand standard 700's aren't all that special. But this was billed as a higher quality build out of the box; stock, barrel, etc... and that is what has me peeved.

I do own a gun shop and do custom Cerakote work, this experience right here has it so I will advise against buying a Remington product, or anything from Freedom Group to anybody who walks through my door.

Oh and this was the second issue, before I went the range I was torquing the screws I loosened them and retightened. I sheared one of the stock screws off 4 threads in with only 3 fingers on the screwdriver and they had to send me another. So it was almost a month after getting the rifle I found out it shot worth crap.

I don't blame you. Thats is pretty crappy - I would be ****ed if I was you.

I feel your pain, but that is the risk you take on ANY factory rifle. I had a terrible experience with Tikka and Beretta USA. On the the other hand, my 5R in 308 at one point grouped a 5 shot group at .195. That is basically a "one holer". On an average day, it will shoot in the 3 s.

Is it just me or has Remington's quality gone to Hell in a hand basket over the past 10 years? I love there actions, but there triggers have never been good, and there barrels seem to get worse with time, I don't even buy complete rifles anymore, I just buy cheap 200 dollar rem 700 actions and build off of that, that way I am never disappointed.

I'm going to try arguing with Remington, yet again. If that gets me nowhere I'm gonna just send the action to Douglas and have them put an actual match barrel on it.

I'm going to try arguing with Remington, yet again. If that gets me nowhere I'm gonna just send the action to Douglas and have them put an actual match barrel on it.

I would hit their facebook page with your experience. I did that with SIG optics and also sent them a link to my review of their customer service on this site, it was amazing how well they treated me after that. They went above and beyond what I expected them to do in the first place. I hate social media, but it has its place when it comes to being heard by these large corporations.

I would hit their facebook page with your experience. I did that with SIG optics and also sent them a link to my review of their customer service on this site, it was amazing how well they treated me after that. They went above and beyond what I expected them to do in the first place. I hate social media, but it has its place when it comes to being heard by these large corporations.

I did that, they deleted it.

It just says "The people who manage this page will review your post." They won't let negative press out

I rebarrel the 5R and sendero at the same rate as any other Rem. I've had so many 300s come through cause they won't shoot I have one load and if it don't go sub inch the barrel goes on the stack of scrap iron and we start over with it.
I only have one left personally and it's been times and tuned, worth more in labor than a custom so I can't ditch it but it runs nice as they should. I'll single sled any other action before owning another.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.