Remington 700 accuracy

Start with the easy/cheaper options that you can. then look at bedding and /or re barreling .

You can even bed the factory stock to see if it helps before you spend $400;00 on a new stock.

like I said though, ammo can make or break a rifles accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

Start with the easy/cheaper options that you can. then look at bedding and /or re barreling .

You can even bed the factory stock to see if it helps before you spend $400;00 on a new stock.

like I said though, ammo can make or break a rifles accuracy.

J E CUSTOM
What exactly are the Cheeper options?

If your crafty you can bed it your self there are a bunch of YouTube vids demonstrating this but I'm with JE and would try some different factory ammo. My rifle shot 180 gr. Factory core lokts horribly but put the 165gr three in one hole. If it were me, instead of spending 400$ on the rifle I would buy a reloading start up kit.. and bed and freefloat it myself if it came to that. Try the superformance 178gr Amax load it shoots well for people who don't reload..

I could not reach repeatable submoa with my rem 700 xcr ii in 300 wm until I changed the stock and the trigger and installed a muzzle brake. I had made also bedding on the original stock but did not noticed obvious improvement. As for the original trigger I changed it for jewell and very happy with.

In my opinion the bigger calibers require more stock upgrade then smaller ones.

What model of Remington 700 is it? What stock is it in? That is an important part. If it is in one of the cheap plastic stocks, then yes it is definitely worth upgrading. If it is a BDL in a wood stock, you can just bed that and you should be fine.

I have personally seen the SPS rifles go from shooting 1.5" or 2" groups at 100 yards to 1/2" by changing the stock to a B&C with aluminum bedding block, bedding the recoil lug, floating the barrel, and changing out the trigger.

What model of Remington 700 is it? What stock is it in? That is an important part. If it is in one of the cheap plastic stocks, then yes it is definitely worth upgrading. If it is a BDL in a wood stock, you can just bed that and you should be fine.

I have personally seen the SPS rifles go from shooting 1.5" or 2" groups at 100 yards to 1/2" by changing the stock to a B&C with aluminum bedding block, bedding the recoil lug, floating the barrel, and changing out the trigger.
It is the sps varmit model in 308win so it does have the cheap plastic stock on it. So it does sound like a new stock and bedding job will help then?

I sure would think so based on my experience. I haven't seen the varmint stock, but assuming it is the same hollow plastic inside as the regular SPS, then it should definitely help.

My Remington 700 Varmint ADL had the same stock but just doesn't have a floor plate. I free floated my barrel and action sides then pillar bedded it, bedded the tang, recoil lug, front of the action, and 2" of the barrel channel with Devcon Steel and it shoots excellent. Never shot it without doing this work so can't say how it was "out of the box". Just testing some loads with different powders and different velocities, it shot a five shot 3/8" group and it only had 50rds down the barrel then, so the accuracy will only get better as the barrel gets more broke in. These stocks seem cheesy, but I can't twist the forearm on the rifle, it is very rigid and not as cheaply made as other factory synthetic stocks I have seen.

How many rounds did you put down the barrel before you gave up on it?

71 when I sent it back to Remington. They replaced everything but the plastic stock. More shots wouldn't have fixed the missing rifling in the barrel.

Then 250+ on the replacement gun. Four brands of factory ammo, Barnes, Nosler, and Berger handloads.

I went through the exact same thing you are going through with a 700 but I ended up have major problems and sent it back and got a new gun.
What I found out on my path was that stiffening up a SPS stock is about as good as getting a B&C medalist. I got a bedding kit and made pillars out of the bedding compound and roughed up the inside of the stock really well and bedded the whole action. I also stiffened up the fore end with carbon fiber arrow shafts surrounded with JB weld. Cheap and was on par with the B&C I ended up buying hoping that it would change things. Working up loads brought the beast to 1/2" MOA. I have another gun on a synthetic stock and it shoots sub 1/2" MOA so I know SPS type stocks can shoot well.
If you go B&C, I recommend get a tactical stock model as they do not flex at the fore end. I'm going HS Precision on my next build as I hear they don't flex at all and are a bit lighter.

I skim bedded my B&C stock and it was very easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.