Remington 700 5r Accuracy

I have had excellent performance from a gen2 Milspec 700, 24" 300WM and three 308's. All delivered .5MOA performance or better out of the box; the 300WM with handloads, the 308 with factory GM Match and handloads.

That's to bad your having problems, I've had two 5r gen one guns in 300wm and they were both shooters. Both were the 24inch threaded barrels. I hope you get it figured out

I rebarrel the 5R and sendero at the same rate as any other Rem. I've had so many 300s come through cause they won't shoot I have one load and if it don't go sub inch the barrel goes on the stack of scrap iron and we start over with it.
I only have one left personally and it's been times and tuned, worth more in labor than a custom so I can't ditch it but it runs nice as they should. I'll single sled any other action before owning another.

If you don't mind me asking, what load are you using? I tried both heavy and light bullets, plus a few in between.

My load for my 300WM/Rem Milspec:
880B3516-31E7-4CB5-9C14-448BF7CC2F2B.jpeg

I bought a Remington long range rifle in seven mag caliber about two years ago. Out of the box it would not feed shells I've got about a 2 1/2 inch group at 100 yards with either factory ammo or handloads. As has been said before, Remington said they had no guarantee but that a 2 1/2 inch group at 100 yards was acceptable! Remington had me send it to a gunsmith of theirs to fix the feed issue. Took eight weeks to get back. Remington has lost all credibility in my mind.

How did you break the bbl? Absolutely ditch the Barnes... I have never seen a 5r that shot that bad... what Ammo were you shooting? Is compatible to the bbl twist rate? Have you check to see if you got scope problems?

Even though my 5r Gen 2 shoots decent, I agree that Remington is crap shoot. I am down to 4 M700's right now, this Gen 2 5r, 2 sendero sfIIs and a sps varmint in 223. The only reason the sps is still around is because all the aftermarket crap i invested in it to make it a shooter.

Their triggers suck, their accuracy is hit and miss, and unless you buy one with a 3rd party stock like HS precision, Remington stocks are awful.

I buy savages for my kids - I won't do the axis, but they both shoot model 11 and they are stupid accurate. I have been buying browing x-bolts lately and love them. Tikkas are awesome...

Seriously, Remington has been coasting on their military repuation for years and their stuff isn't really competitive in my opinion. I have sworn them off a few times, the only reason I bought the 5r was because I didn't want a freaking creedmoor and this was my best option for the caliber I wanted.

My 5r gen 2 trigger is set as low as possible and is still at 4lbs 11ounces. My kids savage accutriggers are awesome and easy to adjust. I have them set at just under 3lbs - sweet stuff.

Remington needs to pull their head out of their *** for sure.
Browning x-bolt 300 wm myself along with tikka 300 wsm. Both great shooting rifles. Last remington I had was a mod 742 30-06 from the early 70's.

Anybody have this rifle in a 6.5cm? My wife just bought me one for Christmas and was wondering about the accuracy.

Anybody have this rifle in a 6.5cm? My wife just bought me one for Christmas and was wondering about the accuracy.
If it's a 5R Milspec, it should shoot good. I've never heard of one having the issues that the OP's has. You will want to immediately replace the trigger before ever shooting it...The factory X-Mark Pro triggers are junk.

I haven't bought into the idea that one cartridge is inherently more accurate accurate than another - at least I don't believe the creedmoor is inherently more accurate than the 260...my 260 has been exceptional. Sounds like it is a little hit and miss with remington, even in the 5r gen II's. Good luck!

Make some loads with longer OAL. I had one years ago that shot 1.5 with factory. Made some loads with longer loads and it was at .4

Even though my 5r Gen 2 shoots decent, I agree that Remington is crap shoot. I am down to 4 M700's right now, this Gen 2 5r, 2 sendero sfIIs and a sps varmint in 223. The only reason the sps is still around is because all the aftermarket crap i invested in it to make it a shooter.

Their triggers suck, their accuracy is hit and miss, and unless you buy one with a 3rd party stock like HS precision, Remington stocks are awful.

I buy savages for my kids - I won't do the axis, but they both shoot model 11 and they are stupid accurate. I have been buying browing x-bolts lately and love them. Tikkas are awesome...

Seriously, Remington has been coasting on their military repuation for years and their stuff isn't really competitive in my opinion. I have sworn them off a few times, the only reason I bought the 5r was because I didn't want a freaking creedmoor and this was my best option for the caliber I wanted.

My 5r gen 2 trigger is set as low as possible and is still at 4lbs 11ounces. My kids savage accutriggers are awesome and easy to adjust. I have them set at just under 3lbs - sweet stuff.

Remington needs to pull their head out of their *** for sure.

I appreciate your honesty and candor esp. on the military reputation, it's what kept them going for a long time.

I am not sure what a Rem 700 ADL Synthetic in 7RM has for rifling. Wife's dad bought her one for her birthday in October. We picked up some cheap Hornady Factory ammo to break it in. Cleaning after every 5 rounds for two boxes. Then we got some Superformance loads with 139gr. SST's. It cloverleafs at 100.
That was with the wife shooting off a Caldwell Solo.
She doesn't care for the 26" tube though.

I rebarrel the 5R and sendero at the same rate as any other Rem. I've had so many 300s come through cause they won't shoot I have one load and if it don't go sub inch the barrel goes on the stack of scrap iron and we start over with it.
I only have one left personally and it's been times and tuned, worth more in labor than a custom so I can't ditch it but it runs nice as they should. I'll single sled any other action before owning another.

Dang, that can't be good. Now, I see why my gunsmith says it sure keeps him busy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts