Remington 700 5r Accuracy

That's the gamble with factory rifles, they aren't custom, and while many of them will shoot sub moa or even better, most don't come with much of a guarantee. You can take a 900 dollar rifle and put a couple hundred bucks into it and most likely have a shooter, but then again, you might have 1100 bucks into a rifle that doesn't shoot at all. A good friend of mine had a sendero in a 300wm that wouldn't shoot better than 2 moa even with hand loads. Remington said that was fine for most hunters, they didn't help at all. He had it lapped, bedded, timney trigger installed, floated barrel (probably already done) and guess what? It shoots 2 moa. Trued the action 250.00, new barrel 400.00, chambering 250, you get where I'm going. He has well over 2k into that rifle, and it's just a sedero with a brux barrel. Probably worth about 1k.
Sell it, and start over.
Sorry for loss buddy.

My brother just sent one back also, they replaced the barrel on his. I love the old 700s but would bet on a savage axis or Ruger American for out of the box accuracy today. Sad to say. Sorry if you disagree it's just my opinion.

My brother just sent one back also, they replaced the barrel on his. I love the old 700s but would bet on a savage axis or Ruger American for out of the box accuracy today. Sad to say. Sorry if you disagree it's just my opinion.
Is Remington one of the only ones left without some sort of an accuracy guarantee?

And at least you are only out a few hundo instead of a grand if its a lemon.

Funny thing, I picked up a 5R in 300WM with a Sendero II stock, Sendero contour non-fluted barrel out of the custom shop earlier this year. Have not fired it yet still. Bought it as a donor, but will probably shoot it as is when the weather here cools a bit, has been in the low 100's since Xmas day.

I hope mine shoots better tgan an inch at 100.

Cheers.
They have the exact same HS Precision stocks, just different colors for Sendero and Milspec models.

That's the gamble with factory rifles, they aren't custom, and while many of them will shoot sub moa or even better, most don't come with much of a guarantee. You can take a 900 dollar rifle and put a couple hundred bucks into it and most likely have a shooter, but then again, you might have 1100 bucks into a rifle that doesn't shoot at all. A good friend of mine had a sendero in a 300wm that wouldn't shoot better than 2 moa even with hand loads. Remington said that was fine for most hunters, they didn't help at all. He had it lapped, bedded, timney trigger installed, floated barrel (probably already done) and guess what? It shoots 2 moa. Trued the action 250.00, new barrel 400.00, chambering 250, you get where I'm going. He has well over 2k into that rifle, and it's just a sedero with a brux barrel. Probably worth about 1k.
Sell it, and start over.
Sorry for loss buddy.
If he put a Brux barrel on a blueprinted 700 action, then I'd be calling Brux, and not blaming Remington. Or, you're using a component that it doesn't like... Be it bullet, powders, primers, or seating depth.

If he put a Brux barrel on a blueprinted 700 action, then I'd be calling Brux, and not blaming Remington. Or, you're using a component that it doesn't like... Be it bullet, powders, primers, or seating depth.

Its always possible that the guy pulling the trigger is a 2moa shooter...:)

Everybody has off days at the range too.

I should have explained better, he had the action trued and the barrel replaced after he couldn't get the factory stuff to shoot. Point was that he put a couple hundred into trying to get it to shoot, and it still didn't. Then he had the action trued and the brux installed. It shoots really good now.

Its always possible that the guy pulling the trigger is a 2moa shooter...:)

Everybody has off days at the range too.
Exactly, especially with a fully-built and blueprinted rifle with a high-quality aftermarket barrel. However, there are lemon aftermarket barrels...It does happen. Lots of things could be playing a part in this. He could be a flincher with the .300WM, but not with his smaller cartridge rifles that have less recoil. I've got buddies like that. They can shoot anything up to about a .270 Win pretty good, but once you get beyond that, they really get jumpy behind the trigger. My brother is that way. He doesn't even like shooting my 7mm RemMags, but he's right at home behind his .270 Win.

I should have explained better, he had the action trued and the barrel replaced after he couldn't get the factory stuff to shoot. Point was that he put a couple hundred into trying to get it to shoot, and it still didn't. Then he had the action trued and the brux installed. It shoots really good now.
That makes more sense. However, most folks don't buy or build rifles for what they can get out of them, unless they're in the business of buying and selling guns for a living...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.