Remington 700 5r Accuracy

TK 1985

So this was a brand new in the box 700 5r gen2 in .300 win mag. Put a Leupold Mk5 on top and headed to the range, couldnt get better than a 2.5" group with 4 different types of ammo. Got ahold of Remington and they said send it in.
Rifle comes back with a note saying they lapped the barrel, headspace, blah blah. Also sent a test target with a 1.4" group and said it was good. This is a $950 rifle, what's the point of spending the money when $350 rifles come with a 1" guarantee?
I just feel like I get nowhere with Remington and needed to vent, as well as never recommend paying for one of these rifles.

2yzbztc.jpg

Most people have had good luck with a Remington 700 5R.
Several years ago I contacted Remington to find out what their limit is on group size. They told me there was no limit. So the buyer is just stuck if they get a lemon.

I have a gen 1 .300 win mag. It is picky. It shoots .5-.75 MOA but only with my handloads. My point is hopefully you didn't get a lemon and your rifle is just being picky.

Shooting factory ammo is not the best test for accuracy or consistency. Just saying.

Also, every rifle has a break-in period. My 5R 308 took nearly 75-100 rounds to start settling in with good groups.

Last edited:
I have that gun in 260 Rem. The only factory ammo I have shot out of it is the Prime 130gr. Its sighted in at 200 and I am getting 1"-11/4" groups at 200. I am hoping to get those tightened up with some load development.

I agree handloading is the best way to deterimine what a gun is really capable of. If you don't handload, I would keep trying high end and match grade ammo to see if you can find something it likes...

Just curious, which ammo have you tried?

Even though my 5r Gen 2 shoots decent, I agree that Remington is crap shoot. I am down to 4 M700's right now, this Gen 2 5r, 2 sendero sfIIs and a sps varmint in 223. The only reason the sps is still around is because all the aftermarket crap i invested in it to make it a shooter.

Their triggers suck, their accuracy is hit and miss, and unless you buy one with a 3rd party stock like HS precision, Remington stocks are awful.

I buy savages for my kids - I won't do the axis, but they both shoot model 11 and they are stupid accurate. I have been buying browing x-bolts lately and love them. Tikkas are awesome...

Seriously, Remington has been coasting on their military repuation for years and their stuff isn't really competitive in my opinion. I have sworn them off a few times, the only reason I bought the 5r was because I didn't want a freaking creedmoor and this was my best option for the caliber I wanted.

My 5r gen 2 trigger is set as low as possible and is still at 4lbs 11ounces. My kids savage accutriggers are awesome and easy to adjust. I have them set at just under 3lbs - sweet stuff.

Remington needs to pull their head out of their *** for sure.

Last edited:
ditch the Barnes, install Trigger Tech trigger, have it bedded. clean the barrel, use a little Isso Bore polish on a soft brush. look on Bullets.com at their barrel cleaning video.

have a local gunsmith scope the barrel for any defects

personally i love the HS Precision stocks. my 20", .223 5R responded quite well to the above

ditch the Barnes, install Trigger Tech trigger, have it bedded. clean the barrel, use a little Isso Bore polish on a soft brush. look on Bullets.com at their barrel cleaning video.

personally i love the HS Precision stocks. my 20", .223 5R responded quite well to the above

I love the HS Precision stocks too. They come on the sendero sfIIs as well.

He also needs to torque the stock back to 65 inch-pounds, after doing all that you mention.

When I bought mine before I even shot it I did the following:

1.Took the gun apart and cleaned it well.
2. Replaced the factory trigger with a timney.
3. Glass bedded the recoil lug.
4. Torqued the action screws to 65 in/lbs.

Then it took about 100 rounds to settle in.

I bought a lightly used 26" gen 1 5R on gunbroker a few years ago. Like others, I never fired a shot through it until I installed a decent trigger and glass bedded it. It turned out to be a great shooting rifle with 215 hybrids and 230 OTMs.

Funny thing, I picked up a 5R in 300WM with a Sendero II stock, Sendero contour non-fluted barrel out of the custom shop earlier this year. Have not fired it yet still. Bought it as a donor, but will probably shoot it as is when the weather here cools a bit, has been in the low 100's since Xmas day.

I hope mine shoots better tgan an inch at 100.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.