Remington 700 5r milspec .223

pondskipper

Well the title gives the majority of the description.
I had been thinking of buying myself a rifle to practice with that was fun and cheap to shoot that I could get match quality ammo for just about anywhere that would have good barrel life and would be able to plink with out to about 600-800 yards that my fiancé would enjoy shooting as well. I previously owned a 5r in 308 that I had great luck with especially for a factory stick so decided that it should be a safe bet to go with the same thing but in .223 instead, and thus far an very very pleased with it! I decided I wanted to make it somewhat of a budget build though the rifle alone was slightly over a grand from buds so I topped it off with a mil version 10x42 swfa ss using weaver tactical rail and rings, and for just shy of 1500 bucks I now have a practice rig that is easily capable of shooting clay pigeons and soda cans at 600 without much trouble at all! I will admit I was leery of the scope at first but the tracking and zero retention are absolutely spot on and clarity isn't too shabby at all, especially when comparing it to some of the other scopes in the safe that are easily four times more expensive,
(5-20x50 razor HD). I've not done any group testing at 100 to see how tight it will hold, I just picked out a few small rocks or dirt clods at 200 and shot, using the mil reticle and made the necessary adjustments and zeroed the turrets, exactly 3.95 mills will land (on a calm day) a first round hit on a clay pidgeon at 600 using the 75 gr hornady match 223 ammo all day long. Apparently the twist rate is still fast enough to stable the 75gr stuff pretty well so if anyone's wondering don't hesitate to try it in a 1:9" twist barrel, it may not work from a 20" barrel but it's not having a problem from the 24" barrel in my gun at all.

All in all I'm very pleased with every aspect of the entire setup and wouldn't hesitate recommending any single component used or as an entire package at a beginner or practice rig.

My 338lm will be here this week from dixie precision as well and I hope I'll get some photos of them all up soon.

James.

Update on my 338 lapua barreled action. So I have a krg chassis, a vortex razor hd gen ii, a set of badger ordnance rings sitting at home with no action and barrel to put any if it on, a ups worker stole it, now while ups has refunded the amount of the entire badger m2013 action, broughton barrel, badger fte brake, and machine work I'm still out an action and likely won't see the next one for 6 months or more. Dixie precision was very sympathetic and has taken charge of the situation and even sent me a pile of 338 lapua ammo to try once the gun is finally finished. Word of advice, if you have a gun getting finished around the holidays it would be in your best interest to go pick it up yourself if it's within a 4 hour driving distance. Especially when talking about $3k worth of stuff...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.