Help With Remington 700 Accuracy

get a torque screwdriver, not that expensive, adjusting a trigger does not make u a gunsmith, all gunsmith use torque drivers.
are u sure your rifle was free floated originally, rem adl and sps are not, not sure free floating rem cheap polymer stock would improve or hurt groups, get a torque driver and check, experiment between 35-65 in lbs, my guess is polymer stock may like a lower torque, but my hand tight is less than 35 in lbs

get a torque screwdriver, not that expensive, adjusting a trigger does not make u a gunsmith, all gunsmith use torque drivers.
are u sure your rifle was free floated originally, rem adl and sps are not, not sure free floating rem cheap polymer stock would improve or hurt groups, get a torque driver and check, experiment between 35-65 in lbs, my guess is polymer stock may like a lower torque, but my hand tight is less than 35 in lbs
It's free floated. It's the LR with the belle Carlson stock

Before was probably 20 and after was probably 25-30. 15 with hand loads and 15 with factory. I know the dangers of torquing a scope but yes he tightened them by hand. Again I'm willing to pay the $50 I just didn't know how significantly that would help
The culprits are probably the action screws. Email Remington and get the torque specs for your action and get the Wheeler torque driver. Also, check your mount for movement and your rings again for tightness, just in case. I had the same problem with a Ruger M77MKII and torqued the action. It went from a wandering zero and about 2 inches (it shot good before I had to take it out of the stock) to 5 shots within about .8 inches average just from torquing in the action with the Wheeler tool.

So I took everyone's advice and torqued the stock to 45 in/lb and torqued the scope and bases to spec. I also throughly cleaned the bore. After sight in my groups are now touching again. Thanks to everyone for their help! I'm very reliever.

upload_2019-11-18_16-47-8.jpeg

That's my last two shots, I only shot two because I'm trying to save a few bullets for next week. Hopefully I'll be throwing that lead at a trophy

For a comparison I shot it on the same target as it was before. The four in the upper right were my last group before torquing. Lower left is before scope adjustment. The uncovered two were the last two I shot.

For a comparison I shot it on the same target as it was before. The four in the upper right were my last group before torquing. Lower left is before scope adjustment. The uncovered two were the last two I shot.
Looks like the Remington 700 Long Range rifle is a serious shooter. I may have to buy one later. I'm glad it was an easy fix.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts