Help with accuracy.

montanaio17

I have a 300rum xcr2 remington. It has the factory stock it came with. It shoots decent for a factory rifle shoots 1 inch group at 100 yards. I put a timney trigger on. The question I have to get it shooting better I need to have custom stock and custom barrel. I don't have enough money right now to do both. I can do one now and the other sometime in the spring. Which one should I do first, I need the gun for this fall. Thanks.

Are you shooting factory ammo or hand loads? If you are only shooting factory ammo you need to do some hand loading to see what the rifles real accuracy potential is. Also with many factory rifles like the Remington it takes quite a few rounds to break in the barrel so they will shoot. Another thing to take into account is your shooting style. Many rifles will out shoot the shooter. I am not sure what stock your rifle has on it but most rifles do better with a good bedding job and free floating of the barrel. Good luck in your quest for better accuracy.

I reload and I'm fairly sure it's not me I used the same caliber to shoot consistantly out to 1000yards. I used to have the sendero before I bought this rifle. I got tired of carrying the heavier rifle here in montana hunting. I thought I would buy the xcr to cut back the weight and start to build a custom rifle as I go. Would a custom stock be a good start or should I glass bed the factory stock. I have heard glass bedding the factory stocks sometimes don't help. Thanks Jason.

If it is that light hollow forearm stock I would get a new stock. A really good stock for the money for a hunting rifle is the Hogue over molded full length bed stock. I have one on my custom Rem 700 27 3/4" Shilen barrel 264 Win mag and it has been really good. The Bell and Carlson Medalist stocks are next up the list then the H&S precision and McMillan. You jump between $100 and $200 each step up you go. You might be able to find a Sendero take off stock some place. They are H&S Precision stocks.

IMO pillar bdding is a must, but it needs to be done by somone who knows how to do it,with all the stress taken off the action so it is not tweeked, I would go with the stock first, you probably wouldn't get your new barrel and gun smith work done in time for your fall hunts, if you dont have a problem with a wood laminate stock it is your most inexpensive stock it is a good stiff platform to shoot from, you can get a boyds for around a $100 and probably get it in a week.

If you want less weight boyds makes a thumbhole that weighs in at about 2.25 lbs.

Thank you guys for the help and advice. What is Pillar bedding ? I was thinking about getting the bell and carlson medalist. It seems like a decent price at stockys. Thanks Jason.

I second getting another stock. The Medalist has an aluminum bedding block system. It might shoot well without any bedding. I'd try it first. You can always skim bed it later. I suggest you torque the action screws to a specific torque. Ask Bell and Carlson for a guide on torque.

Pillar bedding is placing uncrushable metal tubes where the front and rear action screws go through the stock. The idea is to prevent the crushing of the stock in those areas something that is possible with high recoil and tight action screws.

Laminate stocks are the best value for your money.

But, they do add weight compared to a cheap plastic factory stock.

By the time you get your 300 RUM shooting good, it'll weigh as much as a Sendero.

-- richard

I would look at the weight diff. You stated that you were effective with the Rem Sendero in the same caliber. Now you have a lighter rifle and you are having accuracy issues? Some people would say that this is hog wash. But think about it. The recoil increases since there is less weight to absorb the recoil. Trigger control or the lack of will be magnified due to the drop in weight.

To check the trigger control, have a buddy place a dime on the end of the barrel while you are down on the rifle, then pull the trigger. The dime should not move if there is good control of the trigger.

The lighter the gun is the more the gun will magnify shooter form and/or fundementals.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.