260 accuracy help please

stanley52

Ok so I had a 260 built on a trued/blueprinted remington 700 action. Barrel is a 25" Benchmark 1:8.5" twist, fluted remington varmint contour (.83 muzzle). I tried some 140gr amax's with RL-17 and H4350. I can get fairly good consistency as far as FPS (less than 30 FPS extreme spread), but I cannot get anything better than .75MOA. I thought hmm maybe I'm trying too heavy of projectiles for that twist rate so I then tried a bunch of 123gr Nosler Custom Competition prohectiles. Once again, I can get great consistency but the accuracy isn't quite there. I only shoot with the wind less than 5mph, COAL for the 123's is 2.765 (right on the lands). Can anyone give me some advice for this caliber/loads that work for them? Thanks

It has been my experience that the Amax does well with a little jump; like .02 or .04. I don't personally know anyone that loads them into the lands. I shoot a Savage predator .260 with the 140 Amax and Reloader 22. It shoots 1/2 moa consistently. I would seat the bullet a little deeper into the case and see what happens.
On a side note, when I first got my rifle set up it shot two in the same hole and then one about 1" low and left every time. This drove me nuts and I cam to find out the scope I had was the problem. The eye relief was poor and I apparently wasn't looking through it the same way every time. I assume your scope and base/ring combo is good?

I am shooting a 130 gr. berger over 45.5 gr. of N160 with a COL of 2.930. This combo has shot very well. A similar load of IMR 4831 shot nearly as well. I use Lapua brass an Fed 210 primers. I also tried the 123 AMax and it shot very well, but I went for a little better BC with the heavier bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.