help please

pikergolf

Hi Guys my name is Denis and I'm from canada.
I dropped out of hunting for about 20 years and am looking to get back into it but In a direction new to me.
Im looking for advice in a long range coyote rifle long to me is 500 yards.
I have some paramiters, it needs to be a .243 just in case I take up deer hunting agian, it needs to be fairly cheap and I'm left handed although I would buy a right handed gun if it had a straight stock.
From reading the forum I know that members like savage rifles so I have been looking in that direction. from what I can see my options would be the savage114 in .243 (22in.) barrel, Rem.model 700sps varmint in .243(26in. barrel) or the Rem. 700 cdl in .243 (24in. barrel) $$$$ all left.
I would buy the savage 12vss in a heart beat if it was available in .243 and the 12fv comes in .243 right but has a montecarlo stock and would cost to much to restock.
I would appreciate any input or new ideas.
Thanks for your time be blessed Denis

Welcome to the site!

How about a Savage 12flv (left handed model) in 22-250 for around $500, then sell the barrel and rebarrel in .243?

The bolt face should work fine, as long as the magazine would work. You'd be out the cost of a new barrel, but you'd end up with heavy barrel .243 in a left handed rifle.

AJ

The VLP has a straight stock, would be my first choice for a factory rifle, and it comes in .243. They make a left hand VLP but don't offer it in .243. AJ has a good idea with buying a left hand rifle and then rebarreling or Savage's custom shop will build you most anything you want with available factory parts.

I'm guessing that the barrel would have to come from the usa? If so getting it into canada would be a huge hassel unless I went thru a dealer. What company would sell it? Do you think savage would consider putting a barrel on the 12vss? thanks Denis

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.